Grand Bahama Island Travel Answers

change location

Cruising in February - how far are the beaches from the Port

by cledmonson Online Now Jan 3, 2012 at 4:15 PM

We will be cruising at the end of February and one of our stops is Freeport. Are there any beaches close to the port that my family and I can enjoy or will we need to get to the Port Lucaya Marketplace area?

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Marilu33's Profile Photo

Re: Cruising in February - how far are the beaches from the Port

by Marilu33 Online Now Feb 25, 2012 at 12:25 AM

I guess I'm seeing your question a little late for your end of February cruise, but thought I'd answer anyway for those who come behind you. There are no beaches that I could find out about in Freeport, but there are affordable shuttles into Lucaya where you can get to beaches. Just from photos and maps I'd suggest Taino Beach. It looks large, a little farther out, and photos look almost as beautiful as Gold Beach, which is where we went, but Gold Beach is an hour's drive from the cruise dock and there is no shuttle there. Cheapest route there is a car rental or take a tour. It ran us70 for the day to rent a car plus20 for gas, but we thought it was worth it. Lucaya is not walking distance from the ship, it is something like 10 miles. We were there just a few weeks ago...The beach was pristine, water warm, and hardly any people around, plus there are limestone caves and the mangrove swamp walk where you can see tropical fish and tame red-winged blackbirds. It has bathrooms that you can change in and picnic tables. Bring a camera to any beach on this island!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Danfc80's Profile Photo

Re: Cruising in February - how far are the beaches from the Port

by Danfc80 Online Now Mar 8, 2012 at 6:20 AM

Well, I'm really late and you are probably back already so you know the answer. There was a beach that we took a shuttle to from Freeport but it was no great shakes. The Lucaya area has nice hotel pools that you might be able to sit at. Drown your sorrows at a Lucaya bar.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Grand Bahama Island