Grand Bahama Island Travel Answers

change location
lollie2006's Profile Photo

Visiting in June

by lollie2006 Online Now Jan 15, 2006 at 10:11 AM

NEED HELP! I don't want to stay at an all inclusive but it seems that is all there is. I would like to stay in the Lucaya area. I want to be on the beach. I don't want to spend a fortune on the hotel, but I would like a nice room for about130.00 per night. Then again...how far am I from the local restaurants? When I eat out at home I spend between40-$60 for a meal.
I have read about the taxes. What is a per person charge...is it a charge for extra people in the room, or is it an additional tax. Do they charge a tax to leave the island...I read that somewhere...I am not sure where. How about cabs...are they as expensive as I have read in reviews?
How did the hotels fare this year during hurricane season? Is everything up and running or is it slow in coming back to life?
THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • RE: RE: Visiting in June

by CarrieK Online Now Apr 10, 2006 at 7:48 AM

Hi Lollie,

If you would like to stay in the Lucaya area, I would suggest Our Lucaya (www.starwoodhotels.com). You can stay there without the inclusive dining.

I would suggest the Sheraton at Our Lucaya or the Westin Breakers Cay at Our Lucaya. The Sheraton section is older and cheaper than the Westin Breakers Cay section.

Regarding the Sheraton section, check out their website. (starwoodhotels.com/sheraton/....

Regarding the Westin Breakers Cay section, check out their website. (starwoodhotels.com/westin/se.... Shop around for the best deal.

Pelican Bay Hotel is a nice, smaller hotel in the Lucaya area - check their website at www.pelicanbayhotel.com.

For a budget type motel style in the Lucaya area, try the Port Lucaya Resort (their website is www.portlucayaresort.com.

For a read budget type motel, try the Redwood Inn in the Lucaya area - their website is http://www.redwoodhotelgb.com

If you need more details on Grand Bahama Island, feel free to email me directly (carriek5@hotmail.com)

Any of the accommodations I mentioned above are conveniently located right near Port Lucaya Marketplace which has a number of restaurants, bars, shops, a straw market all in a nice waterfront setting.

There is a charge to leave the island but as of March 2004, it is now included in almost all air fares....so just check your plane ticket or your ticket agent.

Taxis are expensive...but if you are staying in the Lucaya area you won't need to take many taxis since everything is at hand.

You will have to pay taxi fare from the airport to your hotel. It will cost about20 for one or two people from the airport to the Lucaya area...and3 for each additional person. They also charge about1 per piece of luggage.

Please note that there is a 15% service/gratuity charge in almost all restaurants...so even if you have a drink at a bar or poolside bar, there is a 15% service charge added to your bill.

Regarding hotel taxes. If you get a room at either Pelican Bay you will pay the cost of the room as well as 12% per room per night hotel tax. If you stay at Port Lucaya Resort, you will pay for the room as well as16 per person per night service and gratuity tax. If you stay at Our Lucaya...there are lots of fees...ie. The taxes are much more expensive at Our Lucaya (Sheraton and Westin Breakers Cay)- besides the rate of the room expect to pay an additional Mandatory Charges Service Charge of about8 or9 per person per night not included in the rate as well as a Resort Fee of4 per person per night not included in the rate and a Room Tax of about 12% per room per night not included in the rate. Do check with the individual hotels.

Hotels are doing fine in the Lucaya area since last year's hurricane season.

Regarding dining, there are some inexpensive options at Port Lucaya Marketplace. Just remember the 15% service charge that is added on to your bill.

best regards,

Carrie
    carriek5@hotmail.com

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines