Granada Travel Answers

change location

British Family Visiting Granada - Safety

by Meacham64 Online Now Jan 8, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Hi there,

My Family (wife and two children ages 15 and 11) are planning to make a short trip to Granada from Miami this April and I wondered how safe the city is for an obvious non Nicaraguan looking family to walk around in?

we have been torn between Cartagena in colombia and Granada for this short break so any views on either would be great.

Many Thanks

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • gdilieto's Profile Photo

Re: British Family Visiting Granada - Safety

by gdilieto Online Now Jan 10, 2012 at 6:56 AM

I have been to both places, in years 2007 (Granada) and 2008 (Cartagena).

Cartagena is a large, modern city with a stunning historical center, rich in history and charm. Granada is a picturesque, small town good for relaxing in a lay-back environment. Cartagena has more variety and has certainly more-impressive sites, Granada has a more relaxed atmosphere. I couldn't say which one I enjoyed the most, because I enjoyed both in a different way.

Re: safety in Granada, by using common sense you should be fine. Pre-arrange airport pickup at arrival through your hotel or guesthouse.

Enjoy your trip with your family!
    Giuseppe

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • thelukey's Profile Photo

Re: British Family Visiting Granada - Safety

by thelukey Online Now Jan 11, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Both of the times that I visited Granada (2004 and 2006) there seemed to be as many foreigners in town as there were Nicaraguans, if not more, so I don't think that your obvious foreignness would be any sort of security concern as long as you don't do anything foolish. Haven't ever been to Cartagena, so I can't help you decide between the two. If you do pick Granada, I would suggest spending at least one night on the Isla de Ometepe, especially given your children's ages.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Granada