Granada Travel Answers

change location

Visiting Granada

by nekkol Online Now Feb 25, 2007 at 9:45 AM

Hi,

I'm a 32 y.o. BF who is considering going to Granada for 8 weeks this summer to learn spanish. I'm curious about things like ATM access, driving conditions (for renting a car), general safety tips for a female traveling alone, and what are some must see sites in the country. At the end of my stay I plan to travel for a week with my boyfiend. Also if you are a racial minority, how was your experience in Nicaragua?

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • nhoolb's Profile Photo

RE: Visiting Granada

by nhoolb Online Now Feb 25, 2007 at 9:59 AM

what is a BF?

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: RE: Visiting Granada

by nekkol Online Now Feb 25, 2007 at 11:49 AM

BF meaning "black female".

• Miguelzgz's Profile Photo

RE: Visiting Granada

by Miguelzgz Online Now Mar 1, 2007 at 1:47 AM

Hi.
    I am 36 years now, and visited Nicaragua 6 years ago. I went with my wife and another friend(female). We had no idiom problem as we are from Spain.

Granada is a nice city, one of the best in the country I think, but my experience was not very good about traveling "alone" through the country.
    We had no "serious" problems, but there was a feeling of "unsecurity" all around(sorry for my poor english) and some men disturbed our friend some times, not big problems but nothing plesent if you know what I mean.

I hope things have changed during these five years.
    I guess that if you are in Granada and you met some nice persons there, you will be able to do safe trips to the rest of the country, that it is realy worth it to see! Leon, Volcanoes, Matagalpa...

I hope this will be usefull to you.

• Re: Visiting Granada

by vnazaire2 Online Now Apr 23, 2007 at 4:38 PM

I have been to Nicaragua three times and the last time was in september 2006.

First, travelling ALONE as a female by bus is not a very good idea as public transportation between cities or villages is done by yellow school buses or minibuses ( more like the Wolkswagen minibuses); most white females I have seen travel in groups of 2 or 3.

But if you are a 6ft or more and athletic , you will not be messed with.

In Nicaragua, as in most Central American countries, Black people (unless they look uppermiddle class by their dress and luggage ) are not well looked upon; it is better to look white or Mulatta.

On the Pacific Coast of Nicaragua, there are a large minority of Blacks born in Nicaragua and they have a bad reputation; you will be often asked in Spanish if you are " de la Costa ".

If you still want to travel alone, travel ONLY during the day, sit close to the driver at the front; be polite, but not friendly to men.

Any other specific question, do not hesitate to email me directly.

• Anubian's Profile Photo

Re: Visiting Granada

by Anubian Online Now Apr 24, 2007 at 10:49 AM

I have not been to Nicaragua let me first start by saying. I am a B.F..LOL..black female however and I have traveled to Costa Rica, Panama, El Salvador and Mexico. From my past experiences, you will be somewhat a curiosity, and perhaps the object of extra attention. However, like mentioned above Nicaragua has a black population on the Atlantic coast...referred to as the Miskito...I'm assuming most will think you are from that population. As for racism, as I am sure you know already, racism is apart of our daily existence whether at home or abroad. Try not to take any small racial incidents so personally. In Panama, I felt I was going to shoot up the place most of the days, although Panama is filled with blacks, they are not necessarily treated with the most respect. So, don't worry about having to be mulatta or light skinned, that is preposterous. Take advantage of the fact that people will see that you are black and will either have some admiration for your exoticism, or at the very least be curious. Also, feel free to say you are from Honduras, or Cuba or Jamaica so you can avoid people trying to rip you off. In my experience traveling Central America, Black has never been a setback...NEVER...if anything it has been a plus...people are not looking at you like walking moneybags....But, be prepared for "Morena", "La Negra", or "Mulatta"...be slow to take offense...and quick to educate...Have Fun and Don't Worry About Being a Racial Minority...you are not a minority in the world...only in the U.S. keep that mind.....

by vnazaire2 Online Now Apr 25, 2007 at 4:59 PM

First, let me correct one mistake in my previous posting ; when I referred to Blacks in Nicaragua as a large minority I wanted to refer to the ATLANTIC coast .
    Here is a Language School recommended by some before ; I cannot personally recommend it but it has been recommended :
    www.avenicaraguita.com
    It's in Granada and offers volunteering also.

by caupolicano Online Now Nov 10, 2007 at 7:32 PM

Are you back! tell us you experience,there is not racial discrimination, in Nicaragua people is open and friendly, what it counts there is how highly educated you are and Last names and connection,that is for locals. For foreigners with dollars and Euros you are just King or Queen color or religous denomination do not count because Nicaragua is a puzzle of nationalities colors taste,choices and races and alot love,people is so lovely that you are going to ask yourself so close and missing iiiiiitttttt!!!!.
    Viva La Vida.

by caupolicano Online Now Nov 10, 2007 at 8:12 PM

To all females traveling to Nicaragua alone: firstable you got to understand the culture of men overthere, I am from there I can tell you better!!!. Firstable men in Nicaragua most of the time that they see a woman they will talk or start expressing their admiration by whisling or expressing tought very loud so the woman can hear, is just culture!!!, for hundreds of years has been that way in Nicaragua,I know is tough for a new traveler or a shy traveler, what do you do,NOOOOOOTHINNNNNNNGGGGGG!!!!!!. You jus act like you are not listening and do not listen,you will get use to, the situation will trigger if you turn your face to see the perpetrators, because you will be insinuating that you like their flirting, so be prepared to have a male introducing himself saying how much He loves you from the very first time He saw you walking the street, if you take him serious He will act serius and will take your money sriously in the first oportunity He has .Sorry is a complex culture, I will say they are too friendly,so is better not to be too friendly with them in any situation, because they will believe you have a crush on them!. They fantasize about marrying a Foreigner female and leave their Country to a First World Country and be forever happy, even they are married!!!!.For men traveling with females do not worry about the flirting, will happen not matter how tough you are,just do not pay attention like nothing is happening you will be okay trust me.They mean no harm when they flirt,if you have common sense, get yourself a flyrter, just promise friendship and you will be okay.Do not allow touching if you allow it first time will escalate,culture thing.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Granada