Gozo Travel Answers

change location
mickeyboy07's Profile Photo

Places of interest

by mickeyboy07 Online Now Jan 19, 2013 at 12:12 AM

Will be visiting gozo in March as part of our Malta holiday just wondering where the best places of interest,local history etc are?

Quote & Answer
13 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: Places of interest

by leics Online Now Jan 19, 2013 at 12:59 AM

Gozo is tiny. The major draw for me (you won't be surprised) is the superb Ġgantija prehistoric temple site. Don't miss that.

Victoria, the capital:

"Capital of Gozo............." - Victoria by leics

is also tiny but rather nice with a good chunk of history to explore in its citadel. The 'Azure Window' is a classic photo, although I was equally (more?) intrigued by the fossil beach on which I was walking. Xlendi Bay is very photogenic and, in March, should be as uncrowded as when I visited (I suspect it gets very busy in season).

We went on an organised daytour from Malta. Didn't get chance to explore all the island on foot but had ample time in all those places plus good views of much of the rest of the island as we drove around. This page gives you an idea of the tour:

"Gozo....nicer than Malta, I think..." - Gozo by leics

I never properly finished my tips for Gozo; events conspired. Maybe I'll try to dig out the photos and complete the page. :-)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • IreneMcKay's Profile Photo

by IreneMcKay Online Now Jan 19, 2013 at 1:15 AM

I liked the capital Victoria which had a lovely citadel. We also enjoyed Xlendi a beach on the rocks - great for swimming.

• tango_jd's Profile Photo

by tango_jd Online Now Jan 19, 2013 at 1:22 AM

Azure Window and Blue Grotto are a must. (It involves a boat trip in a small boat which holds about 10 or 12 people I think from memory.)

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Jan 19, 2013 at 1:26 AM

Not sure if the Blue Grotto boats will be running in March: they weren't when we visited (it was included on the tour). The boatmen make the decision according to the weather on the day, so it's worth going there (if you've got your own car) just to see.

If the boats aren't running (or if you don't want to pay) you can walk up to the top of the hill to where some rather pleasant gardens have been laid out with local flora: you can get a view of the grotto from there.

Must find those photos....

by tango_jd Online Now Jan 19, 2013 at 1:29 AM

Just a thought - unless you are driving, the buses are rather sparse and so an organised trip may give you the best option. They usually specify what you'll see (Azure Window/Blue Grotto/Knight's Wash-Houses/Ggantija Temples etc.
    If you look at the travel pages in here and do a bit of Googling, you should be able to tell if one of these trips is better than doing it yourself.
    Check out the Malta pages in here too - it's a fantastic island to visit.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Jan 19, 2013 at 2:40 AM

I'm afraid the vintage buses are, sadly, long gone. They largely fell foukl of EU emissions requirements and then....

.....Arriva took over bus transport on both islands several years ago. Vintage buses have been replaced with ordinary ones and, in some cases, routes have changed.

Timetables, route maps etc here:

http://www.arriva.com.mt/home?l=1

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo

by Maurizioago Online Now Jan 19, 2013 at 4:32 AM

Blue Grotto is in Malta, not on Gozo if my memory serves me well.

The Citadel in Victoria is a sight worth seeing in Gozo. there are three museums inside.

Have a look at some pages on Gozo here on VT. My VT friend Xemx has one very interesting.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Jan 19, 2013 at 5:11 AM

You're absolutely right, Maurizio..the Blue Grotto is on Malta. It was part of another daytour we took.

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

by pieter_jan_v Online Now Jan 19, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Azure window, Victoria and maybe the Gozo Heritage. That's the Top 3 for an organised bus trip. Xlendi is a nice place for lunch.

PJ

by tango_jd Online Now Jan 20, 2013 at 8:52 AM

Yep - Blue Grotto - = Malta - sorry for the bum steer.
    The Azure window is magnificent though - and the boat trip around / through is well worth it.

Apologies for mis-directing you!

• Re: Places of interest

by SL65 Online Now Jan 23, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Hi

Go on visitmalta.com you should get all the information you will need. A car is worth having while you are in Malta & Gozo as the bus service is not very good and accurate. I would recommend that you hire a car if you can if you want my recommendation i hired a car from www.easycarhiremalta.com they where the cheapest i found and excellent service.. In March the weather will be fantastic enjoy your holiday on the sunny island

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Jan 23, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Welcome to VT, SL. Do have a look at the VT travel guide about Malta ( loads of pages and tips written by VT locals and visitors). I think you'll find it contains more information than even the visitmalta site. :-)

I agree that the Arriva bus service is neither as frequent nor as extensive as the old services (imo) but it is perfectly ok for getting around this very small island. A car might be useful for seeing a few places which have a less frequent bus service but is certainly not essential (especially if the poster takes an organised daytrip to e.g. Gozo).

• KCutajar's Profile Photo

by KCutajar Online Now Jan 25, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Well obviously you have to cover the basics of Gozo:
    The Capital Victoria, The temples of Ggantija, The Azure window and it's neighboring fossil beach Dwejra.

Of course their is much more to do in Gozo, now usually in March the weather would have mostly started to calm down, being more windy then rain. If that is the case and you are up for hike I strongly suggest going to the top of two of Gozo's many hills to be able to view the stunning scenery: Saviour's Hill known for the statue of Christ it has on the top similar to the one in Brazil and the other one known as ''Ta Pinu'' in the village of Gharb, known for The Way of the Cross spread among st the passage with the final statue on top along side an old Greek Theater.

Also Calypso Cave is situated in Xaghra has both got a beautiful view of The Red Bay and the cave itself is known in legend as the one referred to by Homer in "The Odyssey" were Calypso kept Odysseus as a "prisoner of love"

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines