Gozo Travel Answers

change location
deemoss's Profile Photo

GOZO at Christmas Time

by deemoss Online Now Dec 3, 2012 at 6:21 AM

hi,

I booked 5 nights to malta after christmas and will be there for new year. And the hotel we are booked in have terrible reviews. I am thinking of going to Gozo for a night and unsure where to stay, as I know it will be quiet but can anyone suggest a village or town that might have a bit going on restaurants etc etc, any tips much appreciated

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: GOZO at Christmas Time

by leics Online Now Dec 3, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Your best bet, imo, is to find a hotel in Victoria, Gozo's main town. Victoria is large enough for at least some restaurants etc to be open.

I can't recommend a hotel as I did not stay there but I suggest you look at the reliable www.booking.com and www.venere.com Both sites are used by many VT-ers and both have extensive listings. Neither will take any money from you as long as you turn up (check the cancellation policy for the individual hotel): you just pay the hotel as normal.

Public transport on Gozo is very limited so, unless you intend to hire a car during your holiday (Malta drives on the left), you are best to stay somewhere which is on a bus route. Here's the Malta bus website:

http://www.arriva.com.mt/home?l=1

with information, route and timetable info in English.

Don't assume everywhere (or anywhere) in Malta will be quiet. The island is a very popular place for visitors over Christmas and New Year. I spent the holiday in Mellieha and even though it is far away from the northern resorts it most certainly wasn't 'shut'.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • deemoss's Profile Photo

by deemoss Online Now Dec 4, 2012 at 2:25 AM

Hi

thanks for your response, however, I am assuming that Malta will be busy at Christmas, but just wanted to stay one night in Gozo, but for Gozo I didnt want it to be shut down practically in around Xlendi, so I might just do that and look up victoria

thanks

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Dec 4, 2012 at 10:30 AM

The resorts in Gozo are likely to be as busy as those on the main island.

But Victoria is a pleasant little town, and that is definitely where I would base myself for one night.

• Xemx's Profile Photo

by Xemx Online Now Dec 6, 2012 at 11:52 PM

I agree with Leics, I would choose Victoria, especially if you are going to visit Gozo during the week, it's practically dead elsewhere. We once visited it on a week day during January and it was almost impossible to find a place for a coffee. So Victoria during the weekend would be my ideal choice. Hope you have a nice holiday!

• deemoss's Profile Photo

by deemoss Online Now Dec 13, 2012 at 4:06 AM

Thanks for that, we are going on the Saturday so I have decided to stay in Xlendi as a quiet night does us no harm and we are swimmers and the sea temperature is still 17 degrees so we will swim in that,, thanks for tips we will definitely visit victoria and see rest of the island too.

best regards

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Dec 13, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Enjoy your trip! :-)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines