Gotland Travel Answers

change location

Planning ahead

by Drcas Online Now Aug 9, 2006 at 8:41 PM

I'm planning a trip with husband to Sweden next September '07. We want to spend 15 days. I'm thinking of flying into Stockholm and then on to Gotland. I was pleased to see that many of the tourists will be gone by then but I'm really looking for any ideas between the mainland and the islands that will immerse me in the country and it's history No 5 star hotels for me! Are there any 'must-see' things you would recommend so I don't totally miss out. Also, I would really like to rent a car and do this by driving ourselves; is this an easy thing?

Thanks for your help! D.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • RE: RE: Planning ahead

by Drcas Online Now Aug 11, 2006 at 5:03 AM

Thanks! I will put that in my file for reference when planning.

Can anyone tell me about the island of Orland? And the best way to get there? Also, since we will be there in September which I know is after the main tourist season will boats, ferrys be running regularly still?

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • mooselet's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Planning ahead

by mooselet Online Now Aug 12, 2006 at 7:34 AM

If you mean the island of Öland, it is connected to the mainland (at the town of Kalmar) by a bridge. So that makes planning that part of your itinerary easier.

• Sjalen's Profile Photo

RE: Planning ahead

by Sjalen Online Now Aug 18, 2006 at 3:08 PM

If by "between the mainland and the islands", you mean en route to Gotland, I would make a short detour around Lake Mälaren and its historic towns like Mariefred with impressive Gripsholm Castle. Then it's not THAT much of a drive to Nynäshamn and the ferry if you go for that option.

As for Öland, it indeed has a bridge and you can stop at lovely Söderköping and/or Västervik on the way there.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines