Goroka Travel Answers

change location

Getting to Goroka for the Cultural Festival in September 2007 from Jayapura, Irian Jaya

by Uncle_Al Online Now Oct 28, 2006 at 2:29 AM

I am trying to arrange a trip to the Goroka highlands festival in September of next year. Any help would be much appreciated in figuring out the best (namely least expensive) way to get there from Jayapura in Irian Jaya, Indonesia.

I believe there is a road from Jayapura across the border to Vanimo in PNG - is there any public transport that travels the route or how do people usually get there? And when I get there, is there a land route to Goroka or another budget alternative? If so, is it feasible to make the journey or am I on a wild goose chase...

Your help is much appreciated...

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • RE: Getting to Goroka for the Cultural Festival in September 2007 from Jayapura, Irian Jaya

by hendett Online Now Nov 26, 2006 at 5:47 AM

I sent you a reply some weeks ago but think it may not have reached you cheers HENDETT

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: Getting to Goroka for the Cultural Festival in September 2007 from Jayapura, Irian Jaya

by sekipmangi Online Now Nov 29, 2006 at 12:01 PM

Getting to Vanimo would probably be the easiest portion of your journey as that is about as far as the road goes. From there you have to take to air so it may be cheaper and easier to fly to Moresby from Jayapura and then to Goroka from there. I think the only air service between the two countries if there is even that is direct to Port Moresby. There is no road from Moresby to Goroka so you would have to get at least to Lae before being on the road to the highlands where you can get relatively inexpensive public transportation.

I suppose it may be the cheapest to get accross to Vanimo by vehicle first and then fly direct to Goroka from Vanimo. I have no current information on how easy it is to get to Vanimo by road.

Good luck

• jakartamoon's Profile Photo

Re: Getting to Goroka for the Cultural Festival in September 2007 from Jayapura, Irian Jaya

by jakartamoon Online Now Jul 19, 2007 at 7:00 PM

I"m also thinking seriously about getting to this same festival via Vanimo. Lonely Planet Guidebook, "Papua New Guinea" says you can fly from Jayapura to Vanimo or take a boat but then I haven't figured out how to get to Goroka. I've done hours of research on comuter with the three airlines that fly within PNG and none fly from/to those two cities. Just wondering if you have found anything more out?? Would love to hear if you have, as I am up against a wall and have been stuck in Jayapura before for over a week trying to get out and its not a fun city to be stuck in. There are no roads out of Vanimo and the closest flight (to Goroka that is) is to Madang but I can't find a schedule or price anywhere. thanks for your help

• Re: Getting to Goroka for the Cultural Festival in September 2007 from Jayapura, Irian Jaya

by emperatrizdeco Online Now May 19, 2012 at 4:36 AM

Hi, how are you ?

I'm interested to do the same route like you,

Go to Jayapura and later to Goroko, thath's possible ?

There aren't any informtaion about it !! help me.. haha

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Goroka