Goroka Travel Answers

change location

Budget accommodation in Goroka, Papua

by Luci04 Online Now Dec 28, 2003 at 8:31 PM

Planning to attend Goroka show on Sept. 16 - 19, 2004 but don't wish to stay in hotel. Looking for budget accommodation, staying with locals, etc. Any suggestions? Cheers, Luci

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • Mauswara's Profile Photo

Re: Budget accommodation in Goroka, Papua

by Mauswara Online Now Dec 29, 2003 at 6:44 AM

I think there's a Lutheran Guest House there. It's not locally-owned or operated and it wouldn't exactly be a party, but it would be safe, cheap, clean, and comfortable. Try searching for it on google.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Re: Budget accommodation in Goroka, Papua

by Luci04 Online Now Dec 29, 2003 at 11:31 PM

Mauswara, Many thanks for the tip. I have found the Lutheran Guest House on internet. Sounds like the type of accommodation I was looking for. Did you attend the Goroka festival? a long time ago? certainly don't mind roughing it, but a bit concerned about crime, mugging, safety, etc... any comments? Guelph!? I am just around the corner: Toronto! Amazing. Thanks for your help and kind advise. Luci

Re: Re: Budget accommodation in Goroka, Papua

by Mauswara Online Now Dec 30, 2003 at 7:08 AM

Hi Luci, I've been to Goroka a couple times, but no, I never did get to the Goroka show. Goroka is pretty good as far as personal security goes, but you've still got to be careful. When I was in PNG (a few years ago now) muggings and the like were virtually unheard of in Goroka. Still, the festival attracts tourists who tend to have money and cool stuff, so be prepared for pickpockets at all times, and don't wander around alone at night. Are you going anywhere else in PNG, or is the Goroka show your main destination?

by Luci04 Online Now Dec 30, 2003 at 1:41 PM

I am still in the planning stage of the trip: I am hoping to dive for a few days; maybe experience a village stay (Ecotourism Melanesia promotes the ides...? sounds good...?) a few more days; be around Goroka for 3-4 days during the festival; and then off to Borneo for a couple of weeks. What did you enjoy most about PNG? Was it for work or pleasure? My husband and I travel a fair bit, we always try to experience the local life (food, accomm., people) as much as possible. Your input is most welcome!

Re: Re: Budget accommodation in Goroka, Papua

by Mauswara Online Now Jan 5, 2004 at 11:04 AM

I was in PNG for pleasurable work. I was there 2 years, so got to know pidgin pretty well and made some pretty good friends. Life is very basic there, very real. Social relations are very complex and navigating them brings both incredible joy and incredible frustration. A village stay would be good. Consider a trip up the Sepik River if you have time and budget -- very different from the highlands and quite unique. Have a great trip. Email me if you have any specific questions (but keep in mind that it's several years now since I been there, and that I spent most of my time in Wewak, East Sepik). I look forward to your new pages when you get back.

• Re: Budget accommodation in Goroka, Papua

by Ivanvet Online Now Apr 12, 2004 at 5:28 PM

Luci I have been trying to find out whether the Goroka show is actually on this year. Have you got confirmation that it is?

by Luci04 Online Now May 10, 2004 at 6:27 PM

Yes, Goroka show is definitely on this year. You can contact png tourism board - they are very helpful.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Goroka