Goblin Valley State Park Travel Answers

change location

what to take?

by randy2luud Online Now May 12, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Me ad my 3 smal children r goin to goblin valley, I need an idea of what I should brng. We have not been hiking before.also what else is there to do beside the rocks?

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • vtveen's Profile Photo

Re: what to take?

by vtveen Online Now May 13, 2012 at 1:22 AM

In Goblin Valley State Park there are only the goblin/mushroom rocks.
    You can walk in the valley; be aware there are no real trails.

Not far away from Goblin Valley is Little Wild Horse canyon (a nice slot canyon), where you also can walk.

See for more info about these two sights:
    members.virtualtourist.com/m...
    "Little Wild Horse Canyon – first slot canyon ever" - Utah Things to Do Tip by vtveen

happy travels
    Jaap

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • goodfish's Profile Photo

by goodfish Online Now May 13, 2012 at 3:19 AM

Hi Randy -

Goblin Valley is a great place for exploring with children although it will be very hot in the middle of summer, and there won't be much for shade. As the previous poster mentioned, you climb down into the valley from the parking area, and there are no designated trails: you just wander freely among the formations.

The park does have a junior ranger program for children ages 6-12 although all are welcome to participate - check with the little visitor center up on arrival.

What to bring? Dress for the heat (light, cool clothing, hats, sunglasses, sturdy shoes with a good tread. Water bottles (for each person - ESSENTIAL!!), camera, wet wipes, sunscreen, bandaids for any falls or scrapes, snacks. In general, pretty much anything you'd take on a summer outing with kids.

There is a nice picnic shelter near the parking area so bring lunch/beverages in a cooler for a picnic.
    You can find out more about the park at their website, and I have a review as well:

stateparks.utah.gov/parks/go...
    "Goblin Valley State Park" - Hanksville Things to Do Tip by goodfish

We've also hiked nearby Little Wildhorse/Bell Canyon and Horseshoe Canyon unit of Canyonlands National Park. Both are excellent hikes but for first-time, non-hikers with small kids I recommend just doing a section of the Little Wildhorse slots if interested: that trailhead is close to Goblin. Care DOES need to be taken that there is NO rain in the forecast before hiking those: I would check conditions with the rangers at Goblin before making a decision there.

Don't be put off by some of the obstacles I describe in my reviews: heavy rain durning our time in the area had created some unusual challenges, and people DO hike Little Wildhorse with kids all the time. It doesn't cost anything to do so maybe ask the rangers at Goblin if they think this is a good idea for your ability/kids' ages and go from there. The slots are really beautiful!

"Little Wild Horse/Bell Canyon Loop Overview" - Hanksville Things to Do Tip by goodfish

"Little Wild Horse/Bell Canyon Loop: the hike" - Hanksville Things to Do Tip by goodfish

I'm just curious: where are you staying in the area?

Yes, Little

• Segolily's Profile Photo

by Segolily Online Now May 16, 2012 at 10:41 PM

I've seen people flying kites, throwing frisbees, racing. It is just a great playground. Be sure to have water and food and sunscreen.

• RoscoeGregg's Profile Photo

by RoscoeGregg Online Now May 19, 2012 at 11:55 AM

I second Kate's response. I have taken kids as young as 5 into little wildhorse as far as the narrow sections and she loved it and talks about it every time I see her.

Just check the weather and you will have a great time.

Ditto on water bottles. Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate! Keep track of how much water small kids are drinking and make sure they drink enough.

The Other Randy

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines