Goa Travel Answers

change location

Buddhist community and sitar player in Goa?

by Megs1982 Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 8:08 AM

Hi I'm wondering if anyone can help.

I am currently researching whether there is a Buddhist community, Buddhist temple or a Buddhist monk anywhere in Goa? It is for a friend's wedding as she wants a Buddhist to bless them or be the celebrant.

Also....does anyone know of a sitar player in South Goa (not north?)

Any help would be so appreciated!

Thank you!!!!!

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • bag-bug's Profile Photo

Re: Buddhist community and sitar player in Goa?

by bag-bug Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 8:22 AM

I know Mr. Suresh Amonkar who has done extensive research in Gautam Buddha, he may help you in this matter. he stays in Dattawadi, Mapusa, Goa. his son is also a music lover.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Buddhist community and sitar player in Goa?

by Megs1982 Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Thanks so much! That's fantastic. I've really been struggling to find out. I don't suppose you have a contact for Mr Suresh Amonkar either phone or email?

Be the first to rate this answer!

• Donna_in_India's Profile Photo

Re: Buddhist community and sitar player in Goa?

by Donna_in_India Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 11:04 AM

I don't believe that you will find any active Buddhist temples in Goa, mostly remains or caves. If you're looking for active monasteries you'll need to head north, very far north - Darjeeling, Ladakh, Dharamsala, Sikkim. There is one in the south - Golden Temple Complex Coorg. I believe foreigners need a special permit to stay there but check it out anyway.

By the way there is a Tibetan community near Candolim in Goa but no temples/monasteries there as far as I know. I've never seen any monks there. :-)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines