Glen Arbor Travel Answers

change location
foxxy1601's Profile Photo

Fall Colors

by foxxy1601 Online Now Sep 6, 2008 at 2:05 AM

Hello! I am planning a camping trip in October. Partly just because I love camping and want to go at least once more this year but also because I thing I would love to be in the Sleeping Bear Sand Dunes area during the fall. So I have a few questions. . . .

- When, usually, is the peak of the fall colors in Glen Arbor/Sleeping Bear Sand Dunes area? I am hoping to make the trip around October 17th weekend and I hope that isn't too late!!

- Any recommendations of scenic drives in the area as well as trails that would be nice during the fall would be great! One of the ideas of the trip is to see some fall colors while driving around and hiking... also I want to have a chance to take some great pictures! So anything that helps in those categories would be great!

Thanks in advance to anyone who responds!!

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • Re: Fall Colors

by CONNOROBRIAN Online Now Sep 7, 2008 at 8:35 AM

There is no way to predict for sure, but mid October should be right around peak color season. By the end of October every year, the leaves are done falling so being here 2 weeks ahead of that makes sense.
    Just about anywhere you go in Lelanau county is scenic. One of my favorite drives is m 22 up to Northport. North of there, go to a park, I think its called Pattersons point. You can watch the sunset twice in one night there by watching first on the beach, then run real quick up the hill and watch it again.
    Smart to take very warm clothes. you never know what your'e going to get that time of year on the west coast.

CO

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines