Glastonbury Travel Answers

change location
LouiseTopp's Profile Photo

Getting to Glastonbury from Castle Cary in May 2006 - can anyone help please?

by LouiseTopp Online Now Mar 20, 2006 at 10:24 AM

Hi I am going from Salisbury in Wiltshire to Glastonbury town on May 1st 2006 and the nearest station is CastleCary. Please can you tell me what the best way to get to Glastonbury is? Should I use the taxis, or the bus? Many thanks.

Quote & Answer
11 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

RE: Getting to Glastonbury from Castle Cary in May 2006 - can anyone help please?

by leics Online Now Mar 20, 2006 at 10:50 AM

According to this site, you have no choice but to use a taxi. Seems quite probable........UK public transport is not particularly good. Have a look:

glastonbury.co.uk/visitors_g...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Sjalen's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Getting to Glastonbury from Castle Cary in May 2006 - can anyone help please?

by Sjalen Online Now Mar 21, 2006 at 8:19 AM

Yes you do! They list buses themselves and that's how I got to Glastonbury three weeks ago :))) But I guess it involves changing here and there so you need to print out the connections.

From Castle Cary, you can get to Bath and then Bristol by train: http://www.wessextrains.co.uk

There are bus connections to Glastonbury via Bath but then you have to change in Wells to get there so staying on the train for connections via Bristol is better as that's the direct Glastonbury bus (Bristol to Taunton - Bus 375)...I have the website to the buscompany on my Glastonbury site but I think it was also in the site we discussed above (First Group).

The bus was incredibly cheap. We bought an "excursion ticket" which took the whole family wherever you wanted around Somerset for a day at 8 pounds AND was valid on several trains.

The train to Bristol DOES seem a detour so if you find the First Group buses, try to see if there is anything to get you from Castle Cary to Yeovil. There should be buses from Yeovil as it is geographically closer than going up to Bristol...but this is just a guess...UK public transport is indeed not the best in the countryside...

• Sjalen's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Getting to Glastonbury from Castle Cary in May 2006 - can anyone help please?

by Sjalen Online Now Mar 21, 2006 at 8:15 AM

Reading your question again, I see that I might have misunderstood you. Are you not going to Glastonbury at all but "just" to Castle Cary? In that case, look for the Salisbury to Bath connections on the First website (I saw "Salisbury connections" written on a stop at the bus station in Bath) and catch the train from Bath I guess...

• LouiseTopp's Profile Photo

by LouiseTopp Online Now Mar 24, 2006 at 11:17 AM

Thanks for that. i will now go to Bristol Temple Meads and hope on a bus to Glastonbury. I am going on May 1st which is a Bank Holiday. Please can you tell me if this is a good way?

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 24, 2006 at 12:21 PM

Do check all transport times carefully........Bank holidays are different, and buses/ trainsmay not run, or run to a suday timetable, or run on a special Bank Holiday timetable!

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 24, 2006 at 12:29 PM

A Sunday timetable!

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 24, 2006 at 12:44 PM

Have checked this link:
    firstgroup.com/ukbus/southwe...

Don't know if the link will work, but it's service 375/376 from Bristol, more or less hourly on Sundays/ Bank Hols (09:15 onwards). There seems to be a joint fare with the train too (great western railways).

• Sjalen's Profile Photo

by Sjalen Online Now Mar 26, 2006 at 10:13 AM

That's exactly what I wrote earlier - if you get a GW train, you can use the same explorer ticket for the bus! One bus an hour sounds reasonable for that run. The 376 runs from Bristol-Wells-Glastonbury-Taunton so there are lots of places for people to travel to...not just "in the middle of nowhere".

by LouiseTopp Online Now Mar 30, 2006 at 9:44 AM

so you can use the same ticket from the train for the bus ride as well?

• Sjalen's Profile Photo

RE: Getting to Glastonbury from Castle Cary in May 2006 - can anyone help please?

by Sjalen Online Now Mar 30, 2006 at 12:22 PM

If you go on Great Western trains, yes. Not sure about the other one.

by LouiseTopp Online Now Apr 1, 2006 at 8:41 AM

Sounds rather good. So when booking tickets I will ask for great Western.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines