Glasgow Travel Answers

change location
Mel75's Profile Photo

Moving to Glasgow - cost of living?

by Mel75 Online Now Nov 28, 2005 at 3:24 AM

Hi newbie here hoping someone can help! My fiance and I currently live abroad but, since he is Scottish, we will be re-locating to Glasgow when we get married. Since I've been an expat for so long, I've not clue how much I can expect to pay in bills and need to save up to cover myself while looking for work.

Can anyone let me know the average household bills (ie electricity, gas etc) I should expect to pay for a flat in Glasgow?

Thanks a million for anyone who can help.
Mel.

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • df53's Profile Photo

RE: Moving to Glasgow - cost of living?

by df53 Online Now Nov 28, 2005 at 3:48 AM

it depends on several things like whether you are in an old flat or a new build, have double glazing or have gas central heating or white meter which is electric (and more expensive)

I have a 1 bed flat in an old building with single sash windows although it was fully renovated and is on the 3rd floor. My last gas bill was £55 for just over 3 months and thats over the summer with central heating, a comparable white meter bill would prob be more expensive.

Your other main bill will be council tax. That depends on the value of the house and the local authority in which you live. If you end up right in Glasgow city centre you can check council tax bands on their website once you get a better idea of areas: www.glasgow.gov.uk

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines