Glasgow Travel Answers

change location
LJdeHayward's Profile Photo

Flights from Glasgow to Stornoway

by LJdeHayward Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 9:22 AM

I will visit Scotland June 11 - 25 and would like to fly from Glasgow to Stornoway during the week of June 18 - 22 2013. I see that if you buy tickets online they are nonrefundable, so it would be better to purchase them once I am in the UK, but wondered how filled up they get during that time. Also if any refundable tickets are available. I checked their trip insurance and it seems that there are too many exceptions that would make it useless.

Quote & Answer
12 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

    Re: Flights from Glasgow to Stornoway

    by leics Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 9:51 AM

    My advice to you is to book your tickets online in advance. Not only is there a chance that the departure you want will be full (Flybe does not use huge planes on domestic routes) but the later you book the higher the fare is likely to be.

    Won't your own travel insurance cover refunds if a problem arises? I assume you have (or wil have) travel insurance, if only to cover you for e.g. bag loss and medical problems? I don't think fully-refundable tickets are the norm with any airline.

    Be the first to rate this answer!

    Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • LJdeHayward's Profile Photo

    Re: Flights from Glasgow to Stornoway

    by LJdeHayward Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 10:16 AM

    leics wrote:
    My advice to you is to book your tickets online in advance. Not only is there a chance that the departure you want will be full (Flybe does not use huge planes on domestic routes) but the later you book the higher the fare is likely to be.

    Won't your own travel insurance cover refunds if a problem arises? I assume you have (or wil have) travel insurance, if only to cover you for e.g. bag loss and medical problems? I don't think fully-refundable tickets are the norm with any airline.

     Thanks for the advice. No, my travel insurance won't cover this because I bought it before buying these tickets and they are very specific when it comes to paying out. Also although I bought  "cancel any reason" extra I hear they are picky about that. My thinking is that maybe it's better to wait and even if I have to pay for a higher priced ticket it will be safer in case I cannot make the flight. There are some refundable tickets around still - I bought KLM tickets to fly to the UK; they usually have certain rules connected to them and often you just can get another ticket to replace the one you cancelled, which wouldn't help if I'm not in the UK to use a flybe ticket. Again thanks for the quick feedback. 

    Be the first to rate this answer!

    Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • LJdeHayward's Profile Photo

    Re: Flights from Glasgow to Stornoway

    by LJdeHayward Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 10:18 AM

    • Edited: the KLM tickets are refundable.

    Be the first to rate this answer!

    Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • LJdeHayward's Profile Photo

    Re: Flights from Glasgow to Stornoway

    by LJdeHayward Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 10:18 AM

    LJdeHayward wrote:

     Thanks for the advice. No, my travel insurance won't cover this because I bought it before buying these tickets and they are very specific when it comes to paying out. Also although I bought  "cancel any reason" extra I hear they are picky about that. My thinking is that maybe it's better to wait and even if I have to pay for a higher priced ticket it will be safer in case I cannot make the flight. There are some refundable tickets around still - I bought KLM tickets to fly to the UK; they usually have certain rules connected to them and often you just can get another ticket to replace the one you cancelled, which wouldn't help if I'm not in the UK to use a flybe ticket. Again thanks for the quick feedback. 

     Edited: the KLM tickets are refundable.

    Be the first to rate this answer!

    Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • LJdeHayward's Profile Photo

    Re: Flights from Glasgow to Stornoway

    by LJdeHayward Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 10:24 AM

    LJdeHayward wrote:

    • Edited: the KLM tickets are refundable.

     This forum is tricky to figure out! And I can't change things once they are posted! Sorry it's confusing to readers.

    Be the first to rate this answer!

    Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • leics's Profile Photo

    Re: Flights from Glasgow to Stornoway

    by leics Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 10:25 AM

    I understand.

    KLM is a very large airline which operates inter-continental routes. Flybe is a much smaller airline and, like many similar European airlines, does not fly between continents. So t's not surprising that their tickets are non-refundable, as are tickets with many smaller European airlines and with the budget carriers too.

    As a rough guide to what you might expect, return flights to Stornoway this week are from 360.04GBP. The cheaper fares are all sold out. Return fares for the week you are looking at start at 138.68GBP.

    I still think it would be better to buy online now (there are already only a couple of seats left at the lowest fares for some departure times in June) and take the slight risk of losing 138GBP than to pay more than twice as much (assuming seats are available) when you arrive in Glasgow.

    Be the first to rate this answer!

    Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • leics's Profile Photo

    Re: Flights from Glasgow to Stornoway

    by leics Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 10:27 AM

    You can change things once you have posted (as long as no-one else has posted after you) by hovering your mouse in the top right of your post and clicking the gearwheel. :-)

    Be the first to rate this answer!

    Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • johngayton's Profile Photo

    Re: Flights from Glasgow to Stornoway

    by johngayton Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 3:57 PM

    Check the plane capacity and frequency for the flights and you'll see why prices increase towards the departure date. Many flights on this route will be fully booked if you leave it until the last minute and so you may end up having to do things the long way - train, bus and ferry.

    For the latter visit - www.travelinescotland.com and use the journey planner there.

    The train, bus and ferry journey is scenic and shouldn't require advance booking but it does take over 10 hours.

    Be the first to rate this answer!

    Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • LJdeHayward's Profile Photo

    Re: Flights from Glasgow to Stornoway

    by LJdeHayward Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 11:13 AM

    johngayton wrote:
    Check the plane capacity and frequency for the flights and you'll see why prices increase towards the departure date. Many flights on this route will be fully booked if you leave it until the last minute and so you may end up having to do things the long way - train, bus and ferry.

    For the latter visit - www.travelinescotland.com and use the journey planner there.

    The train, bus and ferry journey is scenic and shouldn't require advance booking but it does take over 10 hours.

    Hi John: Yes, I use the journey planner all the time. I know the trip is scenic on bus train and ferry but takes a long time and I only have 2 weeks and already have other trips planned. Probably will just do Lewis another time and spend time in Inverness area also. Thanks for the tips!

     

    Be the first to rate this answer!

    Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • LJdeHayward's Profile Photo

    Re: Flights from Glasgow to Stornoway

    by LJdeHayward Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 11:15 AM

    leics wrote:
    You can change things once you have posted (as long as no-one else has posted after you) by hovering your mouse in the top right of your post and clicking the gearwheel. :-)

    leics: I tried the "wheel" but it just kept showing "report abuse". Maybe because it was after you posted below mine. Thanks!

     

    Be the first to rate this answer!

    Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • LJdeHayward's Profile Photo

    Re: Flights from Glasgow to Stornoway

    by LJdeHayward Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 11:17 AM

    leics wrote:
    I understand.

    KLM is a very large airline which operates inter-continental routes. Flybe is a much smaller airline and, like many similar European airlines, does not fly between continents. So t's not surprising that their tickets are non-refundable, as are tickets with many smaller European airlines and with the budget carriers too.

    As a rough guide to what you might expect, return flights to Stornoway this week are from 360.04GBP. The cheaper fares are all sold out. Return fares for the week you are looking at start at 138.68GBP.

    I still think it would be better to buy online now (there are already only a couple of seats left at the lowest fares for some departure times in June) and take the slight risk of losing 138GBP than to pay more than twice as much (assuming seats are available) when you arrive in Glasgow.

    Thanks for the advice. Yes, I know it's higher the sooner you are to booking time. I'll just see how it goes and probably save the Isle of Lewis trip for a later visit, since I have other trips to fit into a 2 week schedule. Also as an American I have to multiply GBP by 1.5 now (was 1.6 until recently) which really adds up! Take care - Lola

     

    Be the first to rate this answer!

    Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • leics's Profile Photo

    Re: Flights from Glasgow to Stornoway

    by leics Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 11:25 AM

    Yes, you can't edit once someone else has posted.

    And yes, I know exactly what you mean about cost. :-)

    Be the first to rate this answer!

    Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines