Glacier National Park

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Stoney Indian Pass

by kaplaw Online Now Apr 4, 2014 at 9:52 AM

What kind of snow accumulation can I expect going over Stoney Indian Pass in early July?

1 Answer Apr 4, 2014 at 2:55 PM
    • Ideal Date to Visit

by BobDole Online Now Apr 4, 2014 at 7:22 AM

What is the best time to visit the park for hiking this year? I am hoping to go first week in august.

3 Answers Apr 14, 2014 at 4:58 PM
    • Yellowstone to Glacier National Park

by GloriaRitchie Online Now Mar 21, 2014 at 7:37 AM

We are driving from Yellowstone to Glacier towing a 20 ft travel trailer. We are concerned as to the elevation and the roads going up. Looks like we will be taking 15 to Helena and 287 to 89.

1 Answer Mar 22, 2014 at 1:06 PM
    • where to stay 34' rv

by mocsabj Online Now Mar 2, 2014 at 3:02 PM

planning a trip to Glacier N P. staying in Fish creek campground, either loop A or B.
      would one be better than the other for a 34' rig?

• Where and how?

by Bsmith11 Online Now Feb 17, 2014 at 8:36 PM

I want to plan a week long trip to Glacier this July. Where would you recommend I go? What permits and reservations do I need? And how do I obtain them?

Thanks
      Brad

4 Answers Feb 23, 2014 at 5:13 AM
    • Campground reservation

by Barb540 Online Now Feb 17, 2014 at 10:17 AM

Is it too early to make campsite reservation's for mid August,,we will be pulling a small trailer and plan to stay 5 to 6 days. Thanks

1 Answer Feb 17, 2014 at 3:08 PM
    • jennyzichterman's Profile Photo

Camp in Many Glacier or St. Mary's campground?

by jennyzichterman Online Now Dec 29, 2013 at 5:27 PM

We are planning a week-long visit to Glacier in July of 2014. We will spend 3 nights at Fish Creek and then 4 nights on the east side of the park. We would love to stay in Many Glacier CG but arriving early with our gear and kids could be difficult. Is it worth the extra effort to stay in Many Glacier or is a reservable site in St Mary's CG nearly as good?

Thanks!

2 Answers Jan 13, 2014 at 11:22 AM
    • rickd11's Profile Photo

Places to stay

by rickd11 Online Now Dec 29, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Going to Glacier in early May. I understand that everything may not be full swing, but what would be the closest city to the park that has bars and restaurants that are open. Any hotel suggestions by name would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Rick

5 Answers Jan 8, 2014 at 6:04 AM
    • redbikegirl's Profile Photo

Sperry Chalet and Granite Park Chalet

by redbikegirl Online Now Oct 22, 2013 at 5:38 AM

Sperry Chalet and Granite Park Chalet will start taking reservations on Monday, October 28th. Both Chalets fill up quickly so if you're planning on visiting Glacier next year and considered hiking and staying at one of these historic chalets, make reservations soon. We've stayed overnight at Sperry and hiked to Granite Park Chalet and both are well worth the visit.
      hikinginglacier.blogspot.com...

3 Answers Oct 23, 2013 at 5:32 AM
    • Backcountry backpacking trip

by scharbarth37 Online Now Oct 20, 2013 at 9:08 PM

5 (college seniors) guys all in good/great physical shape with little to no backpacking experience but lots of outdoor experience are looking to take a backcountry backpacking trip in Glacier National Park. We're looking to spend 5 days and 4 nights (could be flexible) around the first week of June. Any advice would be great as we're just starting to research for the trip.

5 Answers Jan 5, 2014 at 8:44 AM
    • Group with Campers and Kids

by scotpettit Online Now Sep 20, 2013 at 10:06 PM

We are planning a trip for next summer from Seattle. There are 3 groups with med to small trailers and several kids. It will be our first visit to Glacier. What is the best campground for trailers and kids when coming from the west; preferably one which takes reservations. Our thought is to stay there a few nights and explore the park. We have more time, are there other areas of Montana good to explore? Our last stop will be Farragut State Park so something in between would be nice.

2 Answers Nov 22, 2013 at 12:39 AM
    • North Circle Loop aka: Many Glacier Loop

by Honkyfire Online Now Sep 11, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Anyone hitting this trail Sept 13 - 18? Me and two ys are. We are just as wondering who's coming.

• Camping at seasonally closed campgrounds?

by bikecamper888 Online Now Sep 5, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Has anyone had experiences with camping at campgrounds in Glacier that are closed seasonally? My partner and I are going there next week, and a couple of the places we'd planned to go (Avalanche, Rising Sun) will be closed for the season. We'll be on bicycles, so getting around barriers won't be a problem. We're also prepared for bears. But are campgrounds regularly checked by park staff? Thanks!

6 Answers Sep 28, 2013 at 12:17 PM
    • giardia danger

by chrisengdahl Online Now Aug 26, 2013 at 7:59 PM

does lake mcdonald contain giardia?

2 Answers Aug 27, 2013 at 2:22 AM
    • Overnight parking

by LarryBr Online Now Aug 23, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Can you leave a hard sided travel trailer in Fish Creek campground unattended for the night? We have reservations, but we are going to do a back-country hike. If not, where can you park a trailer to go hiking overnight?

• steve1959's Profile Photo

lodging in sept

by steve1959 Online Now Aug 16, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Planning to visit glacier the second week of Sept and was wondering if hotel rooms would be available on short notice? Not sure what day we will arrive and would like to just get rooms as we go.

3 Answers Aug 22, 2013 at 10:57 AM
    • Is this too ambitious a hike?

by arud5 Online Now Aug 12, 2013 at 1:27 PM

I'm planning on leaving from Logan's pass, taking the Highline trail to the chalet, then going through switcurrent pass to many glacier, and finally heading to cracker lake to spend the night. Is that too much for one day?

3 Answers Jan 13, 2014 at 5:29 AM
    • Bear Spray

by GPrud Online Now Jul 31, 2013 at 5:36 AM

I plan to pick up bear spray near West Glacier for a back country hike starting on August 6. I'd welcome ideas on how to acquire it economically. Can I mail it home after the trip? I can't check it on the plane.

13 Answers Sep 25, 2013 at 8:04 AM
    • 3 days in Glacier

by SLRussill Online Now Jul 6, 2013 at 12:33 PM

I have 3 days to spend in Glacier, driving from Yellowstone, returning home to Portland. How can I make the best use of my time in seeing it all?

2 Answers Jul 9, 2013 at 5:47 AM
    • berocking's Profile Photo

Scenic, moderately easy hikes

by berocking Online Now Jul 1, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Spending 2 days in the park first of September. Want to make the most of our time. We want to drive across GTTS Rd and take time to stop at views along the way, plus do a couple of nice hikes. Which relatively easy (on old knees) hikes can we take to see great views but not spend so much time on?

3 Answers Jul 4, 2013 at 5:35 AM
    • Traveling route 2 in a RV

by bgpaetow Online Now Jul 1, 2013 at 9:08 AM

Can you travel safely on route 2 in a RV? We will be going from West Glacier, GNP to Great Falls, MT in a 31 ft RV towing. Our trip is planned for the end of August. Is this a safe road to travel for a RV? If not, what route do you suggest?

3 Answers Jul 2, 2013 at 11:29 AM
    • Staying by the West Entrance and need suggestions for good Hiking trails... HELP!!!

by NimiDevang Online Now Jun 26, 2013 at 10:43 AM

My husband and I are visiting Glacier National Park from July 11 - July 13th. We are average hikers and would like suggestions for our 3 day itinerary. From what I've read thus far, good hiking trails are on the East entrance however we are staying at West Entrance. I am looking for a short hike (~5-7 Miles) and a long hike (~ 10-13 Miles) closer to the West Entrance. Also if you have suggestions for Must see, please let me know as well as how far they would be from West Entrance. I appreciate all your suggestion and help in making our stay at Glacier National Park memorable one! Thank you!!

2 Answers Jun 26, 2013 at 3:12 PM
    • First Time To GNP Early Sept. 2013

by hollyworld33 Online Now Jun 12, 2013 at 11:16 AM

My husband and I are flying in from South Carolina to Spokane renting a car and driving to GNP arriving Friday Sept 6. and will fly out of Spokane home the following Saturday. Right now we have reservations at Glacier Campground in a camper cabin (west Glacier) for the entire stay. My question, should we plan to stay maybe 1 night in East Glacier or is the drive back and forth reasonable? We plan to see as much as possible and try to hike at least some almost every day. Most will probably be shorter hikes and we may try part of Highline Trail but not the whole thing. So I guess I am just not sure about driving back and forth multiple times in a week is doable?? Thanks for any suggestions.

3 Answers Jul 31, 2013 at 4:48 AM
    • One night backcountry hike. Is this possible?

by ThePlaceWhere Online Now Apr 22, 2013 at 6:25 PM

We want to take the Highline Trail to site GRN(Granite Park) then the next morning take Swiftcurrent Pass to Many Glacier.

1) Am I reading the map right that the Swiftcurrent Pass trailhead is right at Many Glacier?
      2) Can we leave our car at Logan Pass or Many Glacier and shuttle to one or the other?
      3) Is it better to start at Logan Pass or Many Glacier? (It looks like they are the same distance to GRN)

We are going mid-August and plan to spend two nights in Glacier NP. We want to do this backcountry camping one night and spend one night in Many Glacier campground, but I've heard some horror stories about finding a site there (We work at Disney and the last thing we want to deal with is crazy pushy tourists). Should I just avoid camping there? Also what is a good runner up? (We are tent/hammock camping)

3 Answers Jan 5, 2014 at 8:51 AM
    • Trans to great falls airport

by Cohiker Online Now Apr 14, 2013 at 8:25 AM

I need to travel from GNP to great falls airport. Don't
      Have a car. Is there any reasonable way to get here?
      Travel will be in July.

3 Answers Apr 15, 2013 at 1:34 PM
    • Hiking Highline trail or Grinnel trail on Sep 1-3, 2012

by nimshin Online Now Aug 27, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Hi,

I'm going to Glacier in Sept long weekend and was looking for people to team up for hiking Highline trail and/or Grinnel glacier trail. Please reply to this post.

Thanks

2 Answers Sep 11, 2012 at 12:58 PM
    • Dymphna1's Profile Photo

Going to the Sun Highway

by Dymphna1 Online Now Jul 18, 2012 at 8:56 PM

There has been a rock slide here and the road is closed from Avalanche Creek to Logan Pass, and it is anticipated to be open by Thursday evening, weather and road conditions permitting.

This is where you can get an update:
      nps.gov/glac/parknews/media1...

6 Answers Jul 23, 2012 at 1:50 PM
    • SarahS85's Profile Photo

Hiking partners August 15-16

by SarahS85 Online Now Jul 16, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Hi,

I'm taking a solo trip to Glacier in August but would not like to hike solo. If anyone will be around then and would like to team up for some day-length adventures, please let me know!

3 Answers Jul 22, 2012 at 2:10 PM
    • place to stay on the east side

by jance55 Online Now Jun 30, 2012 at 5:54 PM

traveling to Glacier Nat'l Sept. 1 to Sept. 8. Staying in whitefish & plan to ride through one day. Plan to spend the night on the East side. Suggestions?

2 Answers Sep 11, 2012 at 1:12 PM
    • Visiting GNP for 2-days. which area to stay?

by am95405 Online Now Jun 20, 2012 at 7:16 AM

We're a family of four (2 kids, ages 8 and 10). We'll be visiting GNP around the 4th of July and trying to decide where to spend 3 nights. we're driving up from Yellowstone.

Stay in Kalispell? stay in the park? which area? it seems so big.

If it helps, after our stay, we'll be driving back towards California (going west).

There seems to be a lot of options.

I'd like to keep the per night price under200, but will splurge if really worth it.

Thanks!

1 Answer Jun 20, 2012 at 8:34 AM