Glacier National Park Travel Answers

change location

First time visitor to GNP

by Lauralie023 Online Now Jun 16, 2011 at 5:55 AM

My husband and I are traveling to GNP in July. We are VERY excited.... We are planning on camping 4 nights. I know that the rangers and park strictly enforce the guidelines concerning bears in the campground (for which I am very grateful). We want to make sure we are not encouraging any bears to come visit our campsite. Onto the question…. I love camping but primitive camping is very new to me and I need to be able to wash off after a long day of hiking… we don’t want to pay money to the hotels to use one of showers at Many Glacier… and we’re going to buy a camp/solar shower. I saw that if you are going to take a shower at your campsite you have to contain your water…. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how best do this? I am also curious about sleeping conditions… we own an air mattress, but I have seen suggestions to buy a sleeping pad and that an air mattress will not keep you warm enough. We have sleeping bags that are 20+. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!!

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • PR-7's Profile Photo

How to contain shower water

by PR-7 Online Now Jun 17, 2011 at 3:16 PM

The campground rules state, "All wastewater, including water from showers and
    dishwashing, must be contained, and disposed of in utility sinks or at RV dump stations"

Basically, they do not want you to wash the grit and grime off yourself, and then allow that stuff and your soap to flow into the watershed of the Park -- a good regulation, considering how important it is to keep the water pristine.

I would suggest buying a small "kiddie pool" at any discount store before you get to the park -- the smaller the better. Blow it up right before your shower, then stand in it as you use the solar shower. Do your best to keep the water within the pool, then dump the water as stated above when you are done.

Clumsy? Yes. Keeping with the rules? Probably. Will later visitors be thankful that you didn't pollute the water with soap and grime? Yes!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines