Glacier National Park Travel Answers

change location

Traveling between Glacier and Joliet in June

by Camarra123 Online Now Mar 10, 2010 at 5:37 AM

Hi - I'm going to be flying in from the East Coast probably around 6/15, renting a car, and staying with friends in Joliet for about a week in June. My dates are flexible.

We're definitely going to visit Yellowstone while I'm there, but I would like on my own to tour Glacier, probably before I go to visit them. I will probably devote 2 days to the Glacier area (which I KNOW is not going to be nearly enough!!)

My questions are - which airport should I fly into - I have to remember that I'll be driving to Joliet at the end of the Glacier trip, and will need to return the car when I fly back out to NH. I'm not averse to driving 3-6 hours to do this before my flight, or I suppose I can pay extra to return the car to a different airport. It seems the trip from Glacier to Joliet will be about 9 hours.

Which airports are generally more central for what I want to do; I have been researching flight costs to Helena and Billings so far. At least there seem to be a lot of airports in the area! I'm also open to small plane flights and/or Amtrak to get me around and save some time. I don't have unlimited funds, but do have SOME leeway.

Any suggestions would be appreciated and thank you! I am SOOO looking forward to the trip!

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • angelsmom13's Profile Photo

Re: Traveling between Glacier and Joliet in June

by angelsmom13 Online Now Mar 10, 2010 at 10:23 AM

I would fly into Glacier International Airport.It will keep you close to the park.My Inlaws live in Kalispell.Then decide if you want to keep the rental car and drive to your friends or return it to the airport rental office and find another mode of transport to your friends.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Traveling between Glacier and Joliet in June

by Camarra123 Online Now Mar 10, 2010 at 10:32 AM

Thank you - Kalispell airport is also an option. It seems airfares are the same basically wherever I fly into so that is both helpful and more confusing at the same time!!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines