Glacier National Park Travel Answers

change location

Traveling from GNP to Yellowstone in July 2008

by travelho Online Now Jan 7, 2008 at 10:00 AM

My family of four (13 yo, 16yo) kids, my brother and 77yo mother are driving (unless we can find cheaper airfare) from Wisconsin to arrive at East Glacier on July 5th. We have a cottage rented in East Glacier. We are only there until July 10th before traveling down to Yellowstone. What are the best towns/ lakes/ views to visit in the Glacier area? We would also like to try a white water rafting trip. Any suggestions? Any advise on planning out trip would be appreciated. We have been to Yellowstone before but want to take my Mom to see the park. This will be our first time seeing GNP. Thanks

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • AKJ1's Profile Photo

Re: Traveling from GNP to Yellowstone in July 2008

by AKJ1 Online Now Jan 7, 2008 at 1:01 PM

You need to find your way up to Many Glacier / Swiftcurrent. Nice drive and the area up there is spectacular. The Many glacier Hotel is impressive and you should at least check out the lobby.

One question will be your mother and how well she can walk. A lot of things to see in Glacier involve walking. They have some trails that are relatively flat and not too uneven. Here's a link to our trip report and pictures from Glacier. If your curious, you can click home in the menu and see links to our Yellowstone pictures too.

alandsuejohnson.com/glacier_...

Glacier is much different than Yellowstone. You can drive in Yellowstone and see an amazing amount of wildlife and scenery. Glacier has scenery you can see from the road but a lot of it needs to be seen from trails. Avalanche Lake and Trail of the Cedars are on the West side of the park and are supposed to be nice and easy. We couldn't find parking so we missed those.

You might also check out the Red Bus tours. There's pictures from our tour on our site. Your mom might appreciate seeing the sites. They stop often enough to enjoy the day.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Traveling from GNP to Yellowstone in July 2008

by glacierhiker625 Online Now May 27, 2008 at 8:41 PM

The two medicine valley is on the east side of the park. I will be there in August. It will be my 13th consecutive trip to Glacier. There is a lot of great scenery in the Two Med. that can be appreciated by simply stepping out of the car. The earlier response nailed it when he said that Glacier is best enjoyed from the trail, but it is still worth the trip. I would reccomend approaching from east glacier into the two med valley. There is a park entrance on the left side of the road, that entrance will take you straight to the two med. campground. Between the gates and the campground there is a short, whelchair accesible hike to running eagle falls which should be spectacular this year due to the heavy snow in the rockies. That hike takes about 1/2 hour to 45 min. round trip if you stop to enjoy it. When you get to the campground there is a general store that is on the Nat'l historical buildings registrar. FDR did a fireside chat from that building. I thought your mother might enjoy that. When you are finished there I would exit the park and turn left at the end of the road (a right would take you back to east glacier). If you do not like mountain driving, disregard. You would be on what is called the looking glass road. It is kind of a hairy drive, but worth it. This road drops you down into a little dot on the map called kiowa. Turn left and head toward St. Mary. When you reach St. Mary head for "going to the sun road". This is one of the most scenic drives in the country. at the top of going to the sun road stop at the logans pass visitor center, then head down the hill toward West Glacier. I believe the apgar campground is on that leg, if you have time that is good stop. Glacier Raft Co. is located in West Glacier. They are pretty reasonable and rafting should be better this year than it has been. Many Glacier is also a must see. Those are just my thoughts on the most efficient way to see the park. If you have any other questions feel free to email this minnesota boy at thechucker625@yahoo.com. Remember, "Two Medicine is Good Medicine". Have a good one. P.S. I have several digital pictures I could send you from these different areas if you would like.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines