Glacier National Park Travel Answers

change location

Coming by Train

by ogghall Online Now Jul 12, 2007 at 8:23 PM

I am interested in taking Amtrak to West Glacier and camping in the park and was wondering what is the best way to get into a park campsite from the train station. If possible I would prefer not to rent a car, don't know if that is even available. How far is the train station from the park and are any type of shuttle services or car services?

Thanks for any help or direction I can get.

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Camping_Girl's Profile Photo

Re: Coming by Train

by Camping_Girl Online Now Aug 2, 2007 at 9:39 AM

I have never travelled by train into GNP so I am by no means an expert for your question. But since no one else seems to be responding....

I believe the Amtrak station is in East Glacier, which is also where the car rental places are. You will be a long ways from any campground in the park from there.

There is the Red Jammer buses which take people around the park (even into the Canadian side of the park) for a fee. But I'm not sure you could request to be dropped off at a specific spot that isn't on their normal schedule of stops. It is a tour type of service, rather than a transportation service.

GNP is huge and I for one would not want to be there without a car. I will do a little more investigating for you and see if I can come up with any other shuttle info for you.

Regards,

- CG

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • creilmann's Profile Photo

Re: Coming by Train

by creilmann Online Now Dec 6, 2007 at 9:22 PM

If you arrive in West Glacier, the station is only a 2-3 mile hike from the Visitors Center and Lake McDonald Campground. You can also get off of the train at East Glacier where there are two trailheads that will take you to several backcountry camping areas.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines