Glacier National Park Travel Answers

change location

Where should we stay

by GlacierLodges Online Now Jan 25, 2006 at 2:11 PM

I am planning a trip to Glacier National Park for a surprise for my husband. Our five year anniversary is coming up and after seeing the pictures of the park, I knew that was where I wanted to go. I was planning on staying at either Many Glacier Hotel or Lake McDonald Lodge. They looked so pretty online and with the redbus system and all the guides and stuff affiliated with them it seemed perfect. BUT... the reviews for all the lodges there seem HORRIBLE. Are they really that bad? I am not looking for the Ritz type atmosphere; however, I would like something that feels special and maybe on a Hilton or Holiday Inn level of quality with the lodge atmosphere. (Although, I will take a hotel if that is my only choice.) I definitely don't want to wisk my husband away as a surprise and hate where we are staying. Can anyone provide some ideas or alternate places to stay? We will be there for 6 days and 7 nights. I am going to get a rental car, so even something just outside the park would work. I am at a loss. I truly would like to stay at the Great Bear Lodge in St. Mary Montana, but they aren't taking reservations due to possibly selling the lodge.

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • Hopkid's Profile Photo

RE: Where should we stay

by Hopkid Online Now Jan 25, 2006 at 2:54 PM

The lodges at Glacier (including the Glacier Park Lodge in East Glacier) are grand hotels of the NPS system. And you have to remember that they were built in the 1920s. They haven't been updated to Hilton standards and the rooms might be considered rustic. However it is the charm of staying inside the park and hanging out in the grand lobbies (a seat next to the giant wood fireplace at the Many Glacier Hotel is heaven) and taking in the breathtaking views from your room that are worth the lack of modern hotel amenities. My opinion is that they aren't horrible. They are basic (no TV, no radio, no clock even) but they are functional, clean, if not in need of some updating. But when you take in the fact of your surroundings it will all be worth it.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Glacier National Park