Gisborne Travel Answers

change location
allikat's Profile Photo

Couple of days in hopefully sunny Gisborne.

by allikat Online Now Oct 24, 2007 at 1:57 PM

Hi,

We've nabbed a couple of cheap flights just before Christmas and are spending 20th - 22nd December in Gisborne. Any top tips on how to be spending our time there?

Also, I'm trying to keep to a fairly tight budget at the moment, and have been looking at the YHA there as a means of keeping our accommodation costs down. If anyone has any opinions about the place I'd be glad to hear them, or any other recommendations.

Cheers :-)

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • vtveen's Profile Photo

Re: Couple of days in hopefully sunny Gisborne.

by vtveen Online Now Oct 25, 2007 at 1:28 AM

Hi Allison
    Some tips (from my Gisborne page):
    - Kaiti Hill
    - Heipipi Endeavour Park
    - Tairawhiti Museum
    - Marae 'Te Poho-O-Rawiri'

further away (off the beatne path); suppose you nee a car:
    - Whangara: "Whale Rider" village
    - Tolaga: the longest pier of New Zealand
    - Mahia Peninsula

Suppose you couls also visit one of the wineries and otherwise just relx on the beach.

Enjoy sunny Gisborne.
    Jaap

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Kakapo2's Profile Photo

by Kakapo2 Online Now Nov 2, 2007 at 4:01 AM

My top tip from Gisborne would be Mahia Peninsula - wonderful beaches, and a kind of Rio's mini sugarloaf ;-) But I do not know if there is public transport from Gisborne. Perhaps you find a cheap rental car if you book right now?

Somewhere I read that the Tolaga Wharf is rotting horribly - but I have not found any up-to-date information, if they have found sponsors to repair it, or if something has been done in the meantime.

Cheers, Sissi

• allikat's Profile Photo

by allikat Online Now Nov 4, 2007 at 1:38 PM

Thanks for the suggestions Jaap and Sissi. I'm not sure if we will get a car or not. We have booked into the YHA to keep costs down, so we can see how the budget is looking. We have a trip to Queenstown before then where we will definitely be needing a car, so I'll check prices anyway. (been taking advantage of some cheap Air NZ Grabaseat deals!).

• Kakapo2's Profile Photo

by Kakapo2 Online Now Nov 4, 2007 at 2:40 PM

I understand :-)

The YHA is not too far from Kaiti Hill from where you have a great view over the city. I found Gisborne very nice and relaxing and remember a very relaxing lunch at the Marina Restaurant, sitting next to one of the three rivers that flow into the sea in Gisborne.

Yes, and as Jaap already said, you have the beaches, the famous marae, Botanic Gardens, and the wineries. (Although the latter could become more expensive than a rental car LOL)

I am sure you will not get bored ;-)

Sissi

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Gisborne