Girona Travel Answers

change location
CyprusAnnie's Profile Photo

Girona in January

by CyprusAnnie Online Now Sep 25, 2011 at 1:32 AM

We are travelling to Girona from Cyprus in January for a few days after finding a cheap flight with Ryanair.:)

Any advice on what we can expect at that time of year would be appreciated....need help with things to do, weather to expect, we are hiring a car so places to visit outside of Girona.

Thank you!

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: Girona in January

by leics Online Now Sep 25, 2011 at 2:24 AM

It will be chilly, of course, and possibly wet. The climate averages here will give you a rough idea of what you might expect:

climatetemp.info/spain/giron...

Whilst you are waiting for suggestions from Vt-ers who have visited (I haven't) do explore the tips and info about what to do/where to visit here:

Girona Travel Guide

They're all written by Vt locals and visitors. :-)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • johnincornwall's Profile Photo

by johnincornwall Online Now Sep 27, 2011 at 1:12 AM

We stayed on the coast at L'Escala (which has the Roman/Greek cities of Ampurias) one April, and it was chilly-ish even then. We found plenty to do in a week on the northern Costa Brava, only venturing south as far as the monastery of Montserrat, which is a bit of a must. Get there early (10), many tourist buses later. The snow in the Pyrenees may just restrict your trajectory up towards Santa Pau, Ripoll etc, but see what the weather is like at the time. Ripoll has a really old cathedral (rebuilt after a fire though I think) and the tomb of Wilfrid the Hairy, built into the wall. Cadaques and Port de la Selva are worth a visit, and the monstery of San Pedro, and we didn't have time to get to Portbou or even Figures. If you have intentions of popping over the French border it will probably cost you about €7 euros extra for the car per day - you may be able to specify a day (ring them up). If you still need accomodation use:

www.ownersdirect.co.uk

Girona itself is nice enough to stay or look around, if you prefer to stay in town rather than sea air. As for towns to stay by the sea I can recommend L'Escala. A small resort with a lovely little old town, near the Greco-Roman ruins. It will be quiet though. To us that is good.

• Belsaita's Profile Photo

by Belsaita Online Now Sep 28, 2011 at 2:34 AM

Before moving to Barcelona, years ago, we spend a couple of long weekend-trips to the Costa Brava. Its ultra-low season in the coast, so some hotels may have great deals. We only used the hotel to sleep, so staying in a 'nearly dead' town did not matter to us. However, staying in Girona will be probably better if you prefer a bigger and active town.

Regarding weather, expect cold and very chilly winds ("La Tramontana"). You may be lucky and get some sunny, cold buy not windy days... if so, take it as a big bonus, but do not count on it. Wind and rain did not spoil the holidays for us, as there is so much to see and do in the area. As they say, bad weather do not exist, only bad choices of clothing! In addition there are so many cafes and bars around where to have a hot drink ;-)

For things to do, it really depends on your interests. If you like art and history, you can spend 2-3 days in Girona itself and not get bored (you can check my Girona VT page for ideas). Having a car, you can see a lot around the area... Medieval towns as Besalú, Pals... Nice coastal towns Cadaques, L'Escala, Tossa de Mar... historical and very scenic sites as Sant Pere de Rodes monastery (better use the Catalan official names of towns and sights... you will most likely not find any indications to a "San Pedro" monastery). Port Bou is a bit rundown but I like it (and its links to Walter Benjamin). If you like Dalí you should not make the 'triangle' of Figueres-Cadaques-Port Lligat... crossing the border you have Colliure... and more places I can't remember right now!

Happy travels

• johnincornwall's Profile Photo

by johnincornwall Online Now Sep 29, 2011 at 12:43 AM

Haha Belsaita - yes I was using a Spanish guide book and everything is of course named differently.

You may tell me different but we found the northern CB quite 'receptive' to castellano, whereas when we stayed near Tortosa that is a whole different ball game. No tourist info at the castle of Miravet was in anything other than Catalan (what use is that to tourists?) and the young waitress in a riverside cafe in Amposta had to get her mum to understand castellano. All books in a bookshop in Tortosa were in catalan, so I didn't buy one like I normally do.

Whilst respecting people's right to their own identity this is clearly a case of left-wing or heavily republican politicians (or both) still over-reacting to Franco. Blimey the man has been dead 35 years an the last time I looked Catalunya was still part of Spain! The lack of tourist info and the also foreign investment due to this is cutting off the nose to spite the face.

Sadly last time I was in Mallorca the politicians were trying to do the same with mallorquin, despite everyone in the islands speaking castellano. Madness.

Having said all that both the northern Costa Brava/lower Pyrenees and the Tortosa/Tarragona/Ebro areas are superb to visit.

• lulutilley's Profile Photo

by lulutilley Online Now Nov 6, 2011 at 11:17 AM

Girona a beautiful place and I know a great place you can stay. Really lovely and helpful hosts and very good value for money. Check out www.bedingirona.com

• CyprusAnnie's Profile Photo

by CyprusAnnie Online Now Nov 7, 2011 at 5:05 AM

Thank you leics for your advice, sorry for the delayed reply I've only just seen your post!

PS I know Leicestershire well, I lived in Northamptonshire about 8 miles from Market Harborough!

by CyprusAnnie Online Now Nov 7, 2011 at 5:08 AM

Thank you johnincornwall! sorry for the delayed reply only just seen your post!

It seems I have something in common with people who are replying to this post. My Dad was a Cornishman from St Ives and I am good friends with a guy here in Cyprus from St Austell area...small world eh?

by CyprusAnnie Online Now Nov 7, 2011 at 5:09 AM

Thank you for your advice, I've only just seen your post, so sory for the dealy in thanking you!

by CyprusAnnie Online Now Nov 7, 2011 at 5:09 AM

Thank you lulutilley!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines