Girona Travel Answers

change location

2 days in Girona

by gazstrong Online Now Jul 20, 2011 at 3:12 AM

Hi

I will be in Girona for 2 days in August and was wondering what the must see areas and locations are.

I would also like some tips for bars and restauarants and best areas for dining, drinking and relaxing etc.

Thanks in Advance

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • johnincornwall's Profile Photo

Re: 2 days in Girona

by johnincornwall Online Now Jul 20, 2011 at 5:47 AM

Dont know it well but visited for a day a couple of years back. Great place. The place to be is the old town whcih is not very big really, in the sense that you can easily explore it. The area around the Cathedral and the University is seriously old and historic, with Arab baths, juderia all that sort of thing. It is VERY steep in steps and stuff, but there is a land train that runs for the less able. Along the bottom close to the river are the streets with shops and cafes etc, where everyone hangs out, easily found. I found a bookshop that sold only travel books - amazing - but unfortunately I was limited by money, carrying ability and plane weight allowance!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Belsaita's Profile Photo

by Belsaita Online Now Jul 21, 2011 at 1:17 AM

As John said above, the only "must see" area is the old town, and it's very compact (even hilly). You'll find plenty of restaurants and bars scattered around all the Medieval area, and in the relatively more "modern" streets next to it, both sides of the river (i.e. Rambla de la Llibertat or Plaça Independencia....). The newest neighborhoods have nothing of interest.

You'll find more tips on my Girona VT page:
    "GIRONA" - Girona by Belsaita
    (sorry for the shameless plug, but I'm not willing to re-write everything here again ;-))
    and of course many other great tips written by other VTRs:
    Girona Travel Guide

• Re: 2 days in Girona

by gazstrong Online Now Jul 21, 2011 at 1:58 AM

Belsaita

Thanks for your advice, i have had a look at your Girona page and it is very helpful.

It seems like all the main sites are located in the old town and that is where i will spend most of my time.

could you tell me, is there a main square in the old town or are all the restaurants scattered throughout the old town?

• Belsaita's Profile Photo

by Belsaita Online Now Jul 21, 2011 at 2:14 AM

Plaça Independencia may be considered kind of "main square" and it has many eateries. But as well the "rambla", and the streets near the cathedral and the city council, and many others. Restaurants and cafes are scattered all around. No idea about clubs and nightlife, I don't stay overnight.

Every time I've been to Girona I usually saw nice places when wandering around and I thought "it looks nice, may try for lunch" but I never find them again in the maze of streets :)

• lulutilley's Profile Photo

by lulutilley Online Now Aug 6, 2011 at 9:05 AM

Hi,

Apart from the historical part of Girona which is definitely worth a visit, you must go and pay to visit to a really beautiful glass shop and gallery right beside the red eiffel bridge called NOU TALLER DE VIDRE (translated as NOU GLASS DESIGN). It is located in Hortes street just off Santa Clara street, and is really one of favourite finds, especially for browsing and buying unique gifts.
    Tell me what you think and I hope you enjoy your stay in Girona, it's a really culturally vibrant place.

• Re: 2 days in Girona

by mrjoe933 Online Now Aug 15, 2011 at 12:51 PM

costa brave the cathedral is a good place to visit and the jewish quater. There is also the old roman wall and the lovely garden. Lots of restaurants around the chinese buffet is good and is called wok and opposite it is the vegetarian restaurant slightly dearer but food very good.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines