Girona Travel Answers

change location

Day trips from L'Escala

by jenni.lemmon Online Now May 26, 2011 at 10:19 AM

We have an option to stay in L'Escala, near Girona, for a week. We would like to do day trip to other areas of interest, preferably by publoic transport. Will this be possible, where should we aim for, and are we going to have to settle for a car rental? Our week's accommodation, first week of October, will cost 319 euros. Can that be matched anywhere else more conveniently situated.
I get the impression that L'Escala may be a bit out of the way.
We are not interested in spending days on a beach, bu thopefully will get somewhere quaint with a view?

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • johnincornwall's Profile Photo

Re: Day trips from L'Escala

by johnincornwall Online Now May 31, 2011 at 8:33 AM

I wouldn't knock car rental, it's by far the best way to see an area. As you say L'Escala is a little out of the way! Try Hispacar.com or Carjet.com. We stayed there about 3 years ago in the April. We liked it. there is as izeable area of holiday villas, which leads down to the sea front with hotels etc, then into the old town, which has an old napoleonic cannonball in one of the houses on the harbour, fired from a British ship. Nice cafes and restaurants. Then just a few hundred yards away is Ampurias, the old Greek and Roman city.

We visited L'Estartit/oroella, Girona, Oltot/Ripoll etc, Cadaques, Montserrat, Monastery of San Pablo, Port de la Selva and other places. Well worth it, but not by public transport!!!

For accomodation try www.ownersdirect.co.uk. There are plenty of nice little villas, which makes for good price competition. You dony say when you are going but we paid about 300 for a little villa - more privacy etc.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Badger1492's Profile Photo

Re: Day trips from L'Escala

by Badger1492 Online Now Jun 6, 2011 at 10:14 PM

One day trip you can do without a car is to walk north on the boardwalk along the beach to Empuries. You can visit the ruins there, the little town, and the little beach at the cove in from the Hostal Empuries. When I stayed at Hostal Empuries we did the opposite and walked into L'Escala for dinner several times.

I agree, though, that it would be best to have a car to explore the area. Lots to see!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines