Girona Travel Answers

change location

Buses or Car for Besalu, Castellfollit, Olot (1 day visit)

by JTravels Online Now Feb 28, 2011 at 7:41 AM

I am planning a two day trip from Barcelona in early April. After a good amount of reading, I've settled on a day in Girona and then a day in Besalu (and surroundings). Here's what I have worked up:

Train to Girona from Barcelona on Sunday morning. Spend the day and night in the city.

Bus to Besalu on Monday morning, checking in to a hotel or other accommodation (at this point I may only be able to drop my bag). In early to mid-afternoon, I could take another bus to Olot and return to Besalu by 7:00pm. Another option is to first take the bus to Castellfollit, visit for an hour and then catch a later bus to Olot, and finally return to Besalu. On Tuesday morning, I would take a bus back to Barcelona. I have reviewed the bus schedules the TEISA website and all this is “possible”. Whether it is practical is another question.

Obviously if I want to visit any of the small villages and towns beyond Girona, a rental car would provide considerable flexibility. After pricing various options online, it actually costs less for a two day rental from Barcelona than a 24 hour rental from Girona. I really do not need a car to get to Girona much less to visit the city. If I want to be sure I do not get stuck paying for a third day, I would have to leave Besalu early on Tuesday morning, allowing for two and half hours to drive back to Barcelona (online maps indicate it is only a 90 minute drive).

The car would cost quite a bit more than the train and bus options, and since I am traveling alone and on a budget, I cannot ignore the additional expense.

Is one day of:

Gironda to Besalu

visit Besalu (morning to early afternoon)

Besalu to Castellfollit

visit Castellfollit (mid afternoon)

Castellfollit to Olot

visit Olot (late afternoon)

Olot to Besalu

dinner in Besalu (early evening)

...too much? Is it possible with a car, but not with fixed bus schedules?

I get the sense from reading travel books and online posts that Besalu and Castellfollit are not packed with a full day of activities. Olot could be a good amount of time if I were to go hiking, but I cannot see how I would have time for that.

Any thoughts on how to make the best use of my time?

Thanks!

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • johnincornwall's Profile Photo

Re: Buses or Car for Besalu, Castellfollit, Olot (1 day visit)

by johnincornwall Online Now Mar 1, 2011 at 6:23 PM

Rental firms dont like 1 and 2-day rentals - well, they do because they cost a lot!

Looks like one day from Girona is about £29 and a week about £64 travelsupermarket.com.

I think the combinations of public transports you may plan will soon come to £64. Is it not possible to have a car for the week and have done with it? Besalu is a good place for dinner btw.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Besalu's Profile Photo

by Besalu Online Now Mar 16, 2011 at 2:37 AM

Hi, Rather than taking the train to Girona why don't you consider taking the coach directly from Barcelona to Besalu? TEISA have a coach which leaves BCN - Olot. First stop is Banyoles then Besalu and takes just over 1.30 hours. (Or you could use this on the way back if you wanted to visit Girona first?)These are the departure times from BCN:
    09:30 - 11:35
    14:00 - 16:10
    17:00 - 19:10
    19:00 - 21:10
    And from Olot to BCN:
    06:30 - 08:45
    08:40 - 10:50
    13:30 - 15:45
    16:30 - 18:45
    http://www.teisa-bus.com/ then choose "Horaris regulars Provincia"

• Besalu's Profile Photo

by Besalu Online Now Mar 16, 2011 at 3:00 AM

Sorry, I have just re-read your initial post again and realise that you are aware of TEISA and that you can get the bus directly from Besalu to BCN.

There are various options of accommodation in Besalu; Habitaciones Maria, which I recommend. Good value for money and friendly. Fonda Siques is low price but perhaps not as cosy or value for money as Maria. Slightly more expensive are Comte de Tallaferro and Els Jardins de Martana but both lovely in their own right.

There's plently of good restaurants in Besalu. Oliveras just on the outskirts is a lovely restaurant that do a daily lunch menu for around 12 Euros. The only problem with Besalu on a Monday is that a few shops and bars etc are closed on Mondays.
    Castellfollit is quite spectacular perched on a cliff but the village itself is actually quite unremarkable and after 20 minutes you will have seen just about all there is to see.
    olot has a bit more to offer and there is a huge weekly fruit/veg/clothing market there on Monday mornings which is quite atmospheric. But beware that it starts closing down around 12.00 midday.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines