Girona Travel Answers

change location
ranharel's Profile Photo

Girona and Figueres in one day?

by ranharel Online Now Dec 15, 2009 at 1:09 AM

Hi,

I will be in Barcelona in March-April 2010 for just a few days, and was wondering if it is possible to fit in Figueres (Dali mueseum) and Girona in one day (leaving Barcelona very early in the morning and return at night). Does the transportation work out? Will I need to rent a car to do this?

Thank you for your help!

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

Re: Girona and Figueres in one day?

by call_me_rhia Online Now Dec 15, 2009 at 1:38 AM

it's possible but it's a very long day. I did it years ago, using trains - but by the time I reached Girona I was far too tired to really enjoy it - which is a pity because it relly loked like a beautiful place.

happy travels
    Rhia

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Belsaita's Profile Photo

by Belsaita Online Now Dec 15, 2009 at 2:16 PM

As said above, it is possible.
    It's a very long day indeed, and Girona deserves a full day or even a couple of days IMHO.
    Regarding transport, trains are frequent, cheap and reliable. Better option that car for this trip, as driving out and in Barcelona is a nightmare and the old town of Girona is mostly pedestrianized anyway. The train station in Figueres in not far from the Dali museum and in Girona is very near the old town.

• Re: Girona and Figueres in one day?

by ramot418 Online Now Dec 17, 2009 at 2:36 AM

I did it in March. However, I rented a car in Girona and drove to Figueres after seeing the city (from there I drove to southern France).

If going from and returning to a base in Barcelona, I would recommend at least a day and a half although, as mentioned, it could be done if you get on a very early train to Figueres (you don't have to go to Sants station - you can also get on at the Passeig de Gracia station - or others further out east - if you are closer).

I would suggest taking a relatively early train (about 8-9am) to Girona (about 1.5 hours). You should then spend the day in Girona - there is quite a bit to see. Take your time and enjoy. Then, depending on your preferences and what time you finish, either stay the night in Girona or get on a train to Figueres (half hour ride) and stay the night in Figueres. Although I have no personal experience, my feeling was that there was more to do in the evening in Girona than Figueres. Maybe someone else can give their advice on this. There is really nothing to do or see in Figueres other than the Dali Museum. Get to the museum relatively early, so that you have the option of spending most of the day there. It depends on you. Personally I was there for only 2 hours and had to leave because of closing time. I could easily have spent another 1-2 hours there. But most likely you'll be finished by midday and should be back in Barcelona by 3-4pm.

To sum up: Theoretically, a whole day is enough for both - the limiting factor being that places close relatively early (about 4-6pm - check closing times for Girona sites and the Dali Museum). If they were open until 8-9pm, it could be easily done - albeit somewhat tiring. IMHO, squeezing it all in one day is too much - unless you have no choice.

• Belsaita's Profile Photo

by Belsaita Online Now Dec 17, 2009 at 3:12 AM

actually there is more to do in Figueres than the museum, like a quite interesting and huge fortress (Castell de San Ferran), just 10 min walking from the Dali museum but that funny enough no one seems to visit. You can see it on my Figueres page. There is a toy museum too, and it's a low-key typical Catalan town where to spend a day out.

But still I would not recommend Figueres to the ones with limited time, unless you really are interested on the Dali museum.

If you really want to visit the museum, and your only possibility is visiting on a single day, better start in Figueres. The museum opens at 9:30, you can get an early train from Barcelona and be there when it opens. Spend a couple of hours and then head to Girona for lunch and spend there the afternoon. There is loads to see, and many places there actually close quite late so you can spend better an afternoon in Girona than in Figueres: i.e. the cathedral closes at 19h. Then you can walk the ramparts, interesting and great views, or just walk around the old Jewish quarter discovering its many nice corners. Last train to Barcelona departs at 21:25

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines