Gilgit Travel Answers

change location

To Pakistan in may/2009

by Iskandarija Online Now Mar 25, 2009 at 1:02 AM

Hi, we are group of six people and have a plan to go to Northern Pakistan via Islamabad, Peshawar and KKH to Kunjerab. I follow daily press in Pakistan, so I guess I know a bit what's going on there!? But we'll appreciate fresh information from people who are there, in Pakistan nowadays.
Thanks

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • imranthetrekker's Profile Photo

Re: To Pakistan in may/2009

by imranthetrekker Online Now Mar 25, 2009 at 8:51 AM

Bonjour mon ami,

If you're going to Gilgit-Baltistan, then you'll have to make it from Islamabad,Rawalpindi there are buses and coaches by NATCO, from Pir Wadhai bus station leave for Gilgit and there are flights from Islamabad airport to Skardu and Gilgit.

Ground realities are different from the spicy media updates and I'm here in Peshawar.

Gilgit-Baltistan and Chitral are absolutely safe, avoid the tribal areas of north western Pakistan.

If you plan to go to Chitral then you could make it from Peshawar and there are flights to Chitral from Islamabad and Peshawar airports.

I wish you all the luck,

Imran Schah

Cities & Mountains of Pakistan, Photos
    flickr.com/photos/imranthetr...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • lahoree's Profile Photo

by lahoree Online Now Mar 29, 2009 at 9:16 PM

Follow the recommendations of imranthetrekker. In the 21st century we are still living in stoneage, spicy news are forced into our mouth and we see and feel what media wants.

I returned back from Nepal yesterday after 10 days of great holidays, I enjoyed every moment of my stay in that country. You know, I was also closely monitoring the situatuation there; strikes, road blocks, killing, clashes of student unions and what not.... despite all of this I pushed through my trip.

Core issue is the leadership of third world countries. They are just concerned about how to keep on clinging to the throne and just put a deaf ear on the rest.

• Mozumbus's Profile Photo

by Mozumbus Online Now May 12, 2009 at 12:39 AM

Last year (August), I went through the same route; Karachi - Peshawar - Islamabad - Gligit - Khunjrab Pass - Islamabad - Lahore - Karachi. I went to Peshawar just to attend a wedding and it was not much to do with the Trip, if at all.
    Ongoing Law and Order situation in the Northern Areas, specially in Sawat, is not an impediment at all if you are going to Gilgit via KKH. My sister and her husband came back this Sunday from Kaghan Valley (Shogran) and did not have any issues at all.
    In past, tourists, specially foreign tourists used to go for Peshawar - Chitral - Gilgit - Islamabad route by road. However, I would not recommen you this route because of the Sawat situation.
    I would rather recommend you to go to Islamabad, book a subsidized PIA tourist flight to Iskardu in advance (PKR 4000), this way you may get a chance to see Nanga Parbat and K2, stay a day or two in Skardu, visit Deosai planes, leave Iskardu in the morning for Gilgit (10 hoours) vis NATCO or Mashabaram Bus Service, continue your joureny till Karimabad, Hunza by local transport (2 hours). Stay there for atleast 4-6 days. You can make a day trip to Khunjrab and for this you need to hire a private car/jeep otherwise you have to stay at Sost. On your way back, you may take bus (NATCO) either from Hunza or Gilgit to Islamabad or you may take PIA flight.
    You may have a look at my Hunza photos with descriptions at Flickr:
    flickr.com/photos/29868685@N...

• lahoree's Profile Photo

by lahoree Online Now May 12, 2009 at 6:38 AM

Well said Muzambus

• Mozumbus's Profile Photo