Gilgit Travel Answers

change location
funtiger's Profile Photo

Kunjerab pass, Karakorum highway

by funtiger Online Now Jan 29, 2004 at 8:07 PM

China into Pakistan or the other way round? I'm considering to cross the Kunjerab pass on the Karakorum highway around Mai 1st. Now the last big constaraint is the possible snow cover and pass closure. Anyone knows some reliable sources where to enquire about the last few years, when the pass was repopened and what exactly are the criteria? Some insight would be great, thanks.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • funtiger's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Kunjerab pass, Karakorum highway

by funtiger Online Now Feb 1, 2004 at 5:40 PM

Hey Imrhan, Thanks for the quality answer. Actually what you say is how things are in the mountains. Pitty for me since I need to make definitive plans. Hmmm The pak side is the nicer one, so I would have to attempt from Islamabad then..... Please keep me updated... How do you judge the safety? I don't wanna become another case of hostage....

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Re: Kunjerab pass, Karakorum highway

by najamrulz Online Now Feb 4, 2004 at 11:02 AM

You are most welcome to Pakistan. As far as i know Pak- China border opens every year from 1st May and it closes in September. Weather remains unpredictable and land slides may close the road any time. No worries about safety conditions at all. People are very helpful and friendly. You just have to experience traditional Pakistani hospitality :-) Have a safe trip Regards Najam...

• Pakistaniguy's Profile Photo

Re: Kunjerab pass, Karakorum highway

by Pakistaniguy Online Now Feb 12, 2004 at 7:31 AM

I still remember that last year K-Pass Opened and Closed on the EXACT Dates ! I read in the Newspaper. Best Wishes, Umer.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines