Gilbert Islands Travel Answers

change location

At Last

by deirdreflynn Online Now Jun 15, 2010 at 7:06 AM

Having read A Pattern of Islands when I was 12, many years ago. It mesmerised me and
I said to myself that one day If I could, I would travel there , I`ve talked about it off and off for years, never really imagining I might get there.

I`m lucky enough to be retiring this August and want to fly to Kiribati and be able to visit China and Australia ( to visit our children who are working in those countries) en route. Does anyone know which flights would get me to the Gilbert Islands or if one of those round the world tickets would make more sense?

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • cafank's Profile Photo

Re: At Last

by cafank Online Now Jun 15, 2010 at 10:09 AM

I was looking at Kiribati last year - the only flights were from Air Pacific via Fiji - I think that will still be the case.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Jun 15, 2010 at 10:11 AM

There is an official tourist information site for Kiribati, and it gives lots of useful info...including flights:

kiribatitourism.gov.ki/index...

No idea about tickets, sorry.

• JessieLang's Profile Photo

by JessieLang Online Now Jun 15, 2010 at 10:20 AM

I can't help you with transportation because I arrived there on a cruise ship. It was a fascinating place to visit! I was on Fanning Island, which is the far end of the chain from Tarawa. I hope your trip all works out and you have a wonderful time.

There is a fairly recent book about Kiribati by someone who was there in the Peace Corps or similar organization. I can't remember the name--If I come up with it, I'll let you know. (It's pronounced Kiribass, BTW. Maybe you knew that, but I didn't until I got there.)

• Re: At Last

by nessee Online Now Aug 11, 2010 at 6:42 PM

Air Pacific fly twice a week from Nadi Fiji, and Our Airline (formerly Air Nauru) fly once a week from Brisbane, via Honiara and Nauru.Not sure if Kiribati would be covered by a round the world ticket as it's a bit of an obscure destination.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Gilbert Islands Travel Answer Locations