Gibraltar Travel Answers

change location
Permanente's Profile Photo

Day trip by boat?

by Permanente Online Now Feb 24, 2013 at 1:20 AM

We´ll be in the vicinity of Gibraltar and would lilke to make a day trip, but I understand it takes a long time to cross the border by car for whatever reason. Could anyone help with an advice how to reach Gibraltar and visit for a few hours without excessive queing at the border. Is it possible to park the car in La Linea de la Concepcion and then walk over, or take a boat/public bus etc? Thanks!

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • davidjo's Profile Photo

Re: Day trip by boat?

by davidjo Online Now Feb 24, 2013 at 2:17 AM

I am afraid there is no longer a boat as it stopped operating some time ago due to a lack of passengers. You can experience long delays if you arrive by car but you can leave your car at La Linea for a charge and walk across.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • TooTallFinn24's Profile Photo

by TooTallFinn24 Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Your best bet is to park the car in La Linea at one of several parking lots and then walk on over to Gibraltar. The lots are either by the hour or the day and not expensive. Depending on the lot you choose the walk to the customs gate of Gibraltar should be only a few minutes. After going through customs (you just flash your passport) there are buses that will take you into Gibraltar. The area is quite safe. We were there in May, 2012.

Be the first to rate this answer!

• daarth's Profile Photo

by daarth Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 3:14 AM

Yea, park on the Spanish side. Keep in the left-hand lane as you drive into La Linea (right lane is border cue). Take first road to the left when you pass the border, and you will find a couple of parking garages down that road. Walking across the border is easy, and for 2 Euros you get a bus tickets that lasts all day. We were just there this Friday

• Re: Day trip by boat?

by scotia001 Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 7:43 AM

If you drive past the Gib frontier on your right (but don't take the crossing lane) take the 1st left directly after the forntier and then left again and you will find 2 underground carparks. You then come out and walk through the parade of shops for about 150 yds and go straight across the frontier - don't forget your passports. On the other side of the Frontier (i.e. in Gibraltar) there is a bus stop to catch the bus into town which is about a mile and a bit away. Can I suggest you look up the frontier on Google earth to orientate yourself.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Gibraltar Travel Answer Locations