Geysir

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Samsung Lenses or Adapter + Compact Flash Cards

Iceland Dec 12, 2014 at 10:34 PM

Hello, I made a massive mistake and forgot a Nikon - Samsung NX adapter at home for my Samsung camera. I am currently in Iceland and I'm looking for someone that sells Samsung NX lenses or might have the adapter.

I do have a back up camera but it takes Compact Flash cards. Are there any retailers in Iceland that sell compact flash cards and memory card readers?

I greatly appreciate any help!

Jeremy

more
    • Iceland Car Hire with Sand and Ash Protection

Iceland Dec 1, 2014 at 1:08 AM

I'm off to Iceland in October, and one of the insurances available is sand and ash protection. In Iceland, they can have storms that will literally strip the paint off the car and that is what this covers. We're planning on travelling down the south coast to Vik and therefore feel this insurance is worthwhile. I've only found the Hertz.is website that quotes a price for it, and the base car hire price for the Icelandic website is significantly higher than prepaying on the UK one. Hertz itself is more expensive than some of the other options available. What I don't want to do is think I am saving money by booking in the UK only to stung on insurance when picking up the car.
      Has anyone booked car hire in Iceland and who did you go with? Any suggestions?
      Thanks.

more
    • roamer61's Profile Photo

Suggestions.

Iceland Dec 3, 2014 at 6:22 AM

If I was to opt for a trip to Iceland, is it better to take a regular multi-day tour or can I put together a plan by basing myself in Reyjavek and take tours from there, which I have seen?

I am single and do not drive, so I cant simply rent a car.

more
    • AlfredoG3's Profile Photo

Thoughts / Suggestions / Additions to Itinerary

Iceland Dec 2, 2014 at 4:07 PM

Hi everyone!

I'll be in Iceland March 5-14, and I would LOVE some advice on our current rough itinerary :)

We're eager to see the lights (last time I came, I caught a very mild showing, and can't wait to hunt them down again)

There will be 6 of us, and we are planning on staying in Reykjavik between Mar 5-9 (Airbnb booked) and a vacation home near Lake Thingvallavatn Mar 10-14 (Vrbo booked).

Reykjavik - Fri-Mon

Fri-Sun - Explore and walk the city! Museums, food, nightlife, swimming pool

o Restaurants / Bars:
      o Hot Dogs
      o Fiskfelagid Fish Company or the Fiskmarkadurinn Fish Market (must try raw fish in Iceland!)
      o Microbar Beer Tasting
      o Dillon Whiskey Bar

Mon – Pick up car rentals, go to Blue Lagoon (45 minutes away)

Countryside – Tues-Sat

Tues – check into Selfoss Home

o Day: Open
      o Hot tub + chase Northern Lights

Wed – “Golden Circle Tour” (3 hours total drive)

o Selfoss Geyser
      o Thingvellir Tectonic Plates snorkeling?
      o Gullfoss Golden Waterfall *better when it’s sunny out – Snowmobile, Walk on glacier

Thurs – Free day

Fri – Vik and Ice Cave (6 hours total drive)

o 7 a.m. Leave for South Iceland tour!
      o Stop by Seljalandsfoss, Skogafoss, Black Sand Beach, on the way
      o 1:30 departure - Skaftafell Ice Cave (3 hours)
      o 5-6 p.m. – Eat and depart for Selfoss

Sat – Check out, return rental cars, fly home!

=

1. How does this look?
      2. Based on the current itinerary and the fact it's in March, should we rent a 4x4?
      3. Any suggestions on car hire places? I've heard nightmare stories from Sixt, but they're the cheapest!
      4. How are:

- Dog sledding
      - Snorkeling between tectonic plates
      - Superjeep
      - Snowmobiling

5. Any tips on hunting for the lights?
      6. Any other crazy random ideas?

Thank you so much :)

more
    • AlfredoG3's Profile Photo

Car Rental from SIXT or CarsIceland.com

Iceland Dec 4, 2014 at 11:16 AM

Hey guys,

Has anyone rented from SIXT before in Iceland?

I've heard mixed reviews, but they're exponentially cheaper than the rest of the agencies.

Cars Iceland -
      Vitara 4x4 w/ GPS for $489
      Duster 4x4 for $505.

SIXT -
      Chevy Trax w/ GPS for $400.
      Chevy Captiva w/ GPS for $458.

Both companies include unlimited mileage and winter tires.

I thought Sixt might be fly-by-night, but they actually have multiple locations worldwide. In fact, they have a location down the street from me here in New Jersey.

Thoughts please?

Thank you :)

Alf

more