Gettysburg Travel Answers

change location
mrsmig's Profile Photo

Gettysburg for Valentine's Day?

by mrsmig Online Now Jan 12, 2009 at 8:23 AM

My husband recently expressed a desire to visit Gettysburg again (we haven't been in a long while, and then just on a day trip). I thought it might be fun to visit over the Valentine's Day weekend, which is also the weekend of his birthday.

Is this going to be a good time to visit? I don't know if Gettysburg is considered a particularly romantic getaway, but one never knows. Should I anticipate crowds or anything out of the ordinary? I know it'll be cold and I'm prepared for that. Can anyone recommend a quiet hotel that's convenient to the battlefield, and is there a particular place to eat that would also be quiet but romantic and/or historic? Any other tips would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help and advice!

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • lostsooner55's Profile Photo

Re: Gettysburg for Valentine's Day?

by lostsooner55 Online Now Jan 12, 2009 at 2:44 PM

You could also consider the Charlottesville, Virginia area. It would seem a bit more romantic to me. You have the Civil War history of the area, plus Monticello, and Ash Lawn. For a rather unique meal, you might wish to visit the Michie Tavern, which serves a "colonial era" meal. The southern end of the Skyline Drive, through the Shenandoah National Park, is also nearby, though it may have some closures at that time of year. Gary

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Travmad's Profile Photo

Re: Gettysburg for Valentine's Day?

by Travmad Online Now Jan 15, 2009 at 10:09 AM

Obviously Paris (France not Texas) would be a sure bet on romance for Valentine's day. But Gettysburg could be a good getaway none the less. I don't know if the train is running in winter but that could be an interesting thing to do. Finding an old inn right off of the square for a couple of nights would be romantic. Plus there are loads of things to see in town aside from the battle field. I would say yes give it a try. Your not a far drive away.

• Re: Gettysburg for Valentine's Day?

by MTFPA200 Online Now Jan 21, 2010 at 9:29 AM

There are many fantastic places in Gettysburg to visit during Valentines day. For a nice romantic meal there is the Herrs Tavern or J's At the Village. J's has a special menu for Valentines Day weekend. There are many good bed and breakfasts as well, for example Red Brick B&B is right on Baltimore Street. There are also special "valentines day" ghost tours available through GhostlyImages.Net. I hope this was helpful!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines