Gettysburg Travel Answers

change location

Questions about a trip to Gettysburg!

by ElaineCatherine Online Now Aug 17, 2007 at 12:38 PM

Hi

Im planning on taking my sons to Gettysburg for a little get a way over the Labor Day weekend. One of my sons is a huge Civil War History buff!

I wonder if anyone can tell me a litle about Gettysburg! - How far is it from Hershey? What's a good place to stay? And what are the best places we must see? Is it mostly bike friendly?

Thanks

Elaine

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • donato1899's Profile Photo

Re: Questions about a trip to Gettysburg!

by donato1899 Online Now Aug 17, 2007 at 4:03 PM

Gettysburg battlefield is a incredibly moving place to visit. The memorials built by the towns and states to those that lost their lives are worth the trip.
    Your son, the Civil War buff, will know which places to visit. They are mostly almost in sight of each other. The battfield is bike friendly. I have jogged thru it and driven but never biked , but I am sure that would be a great way to see Gettysburg. There is a radio tour that you can take as you drive thru the battlefield.
    Last time I was there we stayed at the Country Inn and Suites, about 8 miles from the battlfield, it was very nice. There are hotels almost within sight of the field Pickett charged across. The battlefield is just outside town. There are some places related to the battle in town.
    The town is nice, orientated to tourists and Gettysburg College. There are plenty of nice restaurants and souvineer shops.
    From Hershey ?, check mapquest.com

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Travmad's Profile Photo

by Travmad Online Now Aug 17, 2007 at 7:32 PM

Ive been there several times either on day trips or camping near by. There are some cool things to do there. I have some pages on it if it helps. If you have any specific questions I'll do my best to answer them.

• Re: Questions about a trip to Gettysburg!

by haentjens Online Now Aug 24, 2007 at 9:49 AM

I would recommend having a meal at Dobbin House Tavern in downtown Gettysburg. If you go, be sure to see the Underground Railroad safehouse hidden in the tavern.
    http://www.dobbinhouse.com/

by Travmad Online Now Aug 26, 2007 at 7:21 AM

That's a good tip! I didn't know about that I'll be sure to check it out the next time. We have some underground railroad building in our area as well.

by ElaineCatherine Online Now Feb 1, 2008 at 7:55 AM

Thank you all for the tips about Gettysburg.. We went and it was a wonderful trip!

by Travmad Online Now Feb 1, 2008 at 9:45 AM

Glad to hear you had a good trip. We were there again as well on New Years eve day.

by ElaineCatherine Online Now Feb 5, 2008 at 6:24 AM

Thanks. We did have such a good time. We ended up doing the auto tour. It was very very busy when we were there, and we were a bit nervous that our boys would drive in the road!

Must have been a nice quiet time of year to go there, I hope you had a good time too!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines