Germany Travel Answers

change location
littlelawyer's Profile Photo

Stuttgart and Munich - very quick train changes

by littlelawyer Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 1:17 PM

In a couple of weeks I need to change trains at Stuttgart (arriving from Paris 20.05 I think and leaving for Munich at 20.12). Has anyone made this connection before or do you know the station? It sounds very tight!!

If I do catch that train, I then need to change at Munich for the night train to Ljubljana, and again I will only have a few minutes. Please let me know if you've done this or have any tips for finding the platform in time?

Vielen Dank!
L

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • Nemorino's Profile Photo

Re: Stuttgart and Munich - very quick train changes

by Nemorino Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 1:46 PM

I've never taken that train to Ljubljana, but I have often changed trains in Stuttgart. According to the timetable, there is currently a TGV from Paris which arrives in Stuttgart, track 15, at 21:05. The train to Munich leaves at 21:12 from track 16, which is on the other side of the same platform, so seven minutes should be more than enough time -- provided the trains are on time, of course. Generally French trains do tend to run on time, but German trains often run late.

Currently there is also a through train from Paris to Munich leaving Paris-Est at 15:25 and arriving in Munich at 21:36, with no change of trains on the way.

bahn.de/i/view/USA/en/index....

4 members found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • iaint's Profile Photo

by iaint Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 11:11 PM

I've never done that connection, but use the station frequently. It would just be a question of getting from one platform to another, stopping on the way to find out which platform you're going to. Possible for one who knows the station. Also possible for a stranger, but tighter. 2 suggestions. Sit near the front of the arriving train. Also, I think conductors announce (in German) the connecting trains as the incoming train arrives. Not sure if they also tell you the platform number. Worth listening out for.

Be the first to rate this answer!

• iaint's Profile Photo

by iaint Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 11:12 PM

Sorry, my comment just relates to Munich.

by Nemorino Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 11:42 PM

Here's the station layout of the central station in Stuttgart.

cms-bahnhof.noncd-web.db.de/...

Tracks 15 and 16 are on opposite sides of the same platform.

There is a lot of (needless) construction work going on at that station, but as far as I know tracks 15 and 16 are still in operation.

• Re: Stuttgart and Munich - very quick train changes

by WineBuffTraveller Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 7:58 AM

The 15:19 TGV Duplex is indeed direct from Paris to Munich arriving 21:26.

This gives a safe connection into the 23:40 sleeper to Ljubljana/Zagreb/Budapest.

I'm on exactly this combo myself in April, travelling from London to Belgrade. If you haven't already booked, it is the 15:19 from Paris, not the 17:25, which provides the best connection for a journey of this type. The 17:25 carries too much risk.

• littlelawyer's Profile Photo

by littlelawyer Online Now Apr 18, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Thanks! I made it - the Paris train was 5 minutes late, leaving only 2 minutes to change ... but there were a lot of people making the connection to the Munich train and I think they must have held it back, as that left 5 minutes late too. And it was freezing cold - so just as well that I only had time to run across to the other side of the platform, rather than hanging around.

by Nemorino Online Now Apr 18, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Great that you made the connection. And thanks for letting us know!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Germany Travel Answer Locations