Germany Travel Answers

change location

Germany

by indyguy Online Now Feb 17, 2013 at 10:04 AM

We are looking for a castle-type hotel along Rhine River, somewhere midway between Amsterdam and Heidelburg. Do know of one? Thanks!

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • Nemorino's Profile Photo

Re: Germany

by Nemorino Online Now Feb 17, 2013 at 10:09 AM

There are several between Koblenz and Bingen, which is the most scenic part of the Rhine Valley. I can't make a specific recommendation, but I'm sure someone who can will do so shortly.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Trekki's Profile Photo

by Trekki Online Now Feb 17, 2013 at 10:38 AM

In Oberwesel, that is almost in the kiddle of Rhine Valley, is Hotel Schönburg, very romantic and on top of the rocks with magic views. Here is the website: http://www.hotel-schoenburg.com/ Is it this kind of hotel you were looking for?

1 member found this helpful

• Re: Germany

by indyguy Online Now Feb 17, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Nemorino wrote: There are several between Koblenz and Bingen, which is the most scenic part of the Rhine Valley. I can't make a specific recommendation, but I'm sure someone who can will do so shortly.    Thanks so much.

• Re: Germany

by indyguy Online Now Feb 17, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Trekki - this is very helpful. I have already looked at the website and the hotel is highly regarded. Highly priced too but it includes 4-course dinner and breakfast.

• abalada's Profile Photo

by abalada Online Now Feb 17, 2013 at 4:47 PM

indyguy wrote:  Do know of one?
    There is only one. The already mentioned Hotel auf Schönburg in Oberwesel.

The second one closed a few years ago.

Besides this there is the castle hostel Burg Stahleck in Bacharach.

diejugendherbergen.de/die-ju...

Even if one does not have to pay for the maintance of the castle, to run a hotel/hostel in a castle is more expensive than in a building built for this purpose.

• Trekki's Profile Photo

by Trekki Online Now Feb 17, 2013 at 10:10 PM

In fact there is another one, Burg Rheinstein, near Bingen. They have apartments (not in the main castle part) and a tower which is the former captain's tower and which is part of the castle AND has magic views. Here their english part of the website, they are in the process of translating the whole site: burg-rheinstein.de/en/index....

Given the limited amount of rooms, they are quickly booked.

In case you are on Facebook, check their (German) Facebook page: facebook.com/pages/Romantik-...">facebook.com/pages/Romantik-... Actually they have renovated the apartments (photos on their share of January 28, 2013). You can contact them via their FB page too. But they might not be available until March. Usually they close the castle in the periods from Christmas to end of February.

Tell them Ingrid has sent you :-) I am member of the funds organisation for the castle.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Germany Travel Answer Locations