Georgetown Travel Answers

change location

Hotel and car in Georgetown?

by TubbySmith Online Now May 26, 2004 at 12:43 PM

Hi all - I'm staying at the Holiday Inn in Georgetown and just saw that on orbitz you can make reservations for both hotel and car. Is it worth having a car in Georgetown?

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • soccergrrl's Profile Photo

Re: Hotel and car in Georgetown?

by soccergrrl Online Now May 26, 2004 at 12:49 PM

Well, it really depends on what else you'll be doing. Getting around DC is easy by Metro . . . but there's no Metro stop in Georgetown. I can't remember where the Holday Inn is . . . you can walk to either the Foggy Bottom or Rosslyn stations from Georgetown, although it's a pretty long walk. It's easy enough to catch a cab around Georgetown, or to a Metro, and some hotels have shuttles that take guests to Metro stations. If you plan to head out into the suburbs or surrounding states, you'll want a car. But I wouldn't get it until you are ready to head out -- parking it in Georgetown will be a pain and/or expensive.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • ricknkat's Profile Photo

by ricknkat Online Now May 26, 2004 at 1:45 PM

I would agree on skipping the car rental. Even if you get a smoking deal, it will be a pain finding parking most of the time and the first ticket you get will erase any savings you may have scored. Cabs are cheap if you have a long walk to a station. We stayed in DC for a week in April and never missed having a car. If you have time try to make it out to Mt. Vernon. There is a super cheap city bus line that leaves from the last stop on the Arlington metro line.

• ChiTownMike's Profile Photo

by ChiTownMike Online Now May 26, 2004 at 1:46 PM

I would second that. You probably aren't going to need a car in Georgetown. Parking is going to be tough. I guess the one advantage is that school is out for the summer so there will be less students' cars around. As was mentioned, the downside to Georgetown is that there is no metro stop there. I used to always walk over the Key Bridge to Rosslyn which is a pretty good hike. About a mile from where you will be. Of course, you can always take a cab if you are going downtown anyway. And many of the restaurants and bars in Georgetown are just down on M Street which is an easy walk. Of course, if you are looking to do much traveling out of DC and into Virginia and Maryland, you will need a car. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it. Probably not worth the hassle.

• Re: Hotel and car in Georgetown?

by LorrieK Online Now May 26, 2004 at 4:36 PM

No, you probably won't want a car. Georgetown is for walking, not driving. Parking is hard to find and very expensive, and if you are not familiar with DC it is very confusing to find your way around by car. The hotel is in a good location to walk just about anywhere in Georgetown. They offer a shuttle service to the Metro and can also take you to the boarding points for tours like the Old Town Trolley. From that location, on Wisconsin Avenue, there is plenty of Metro bus service available too.

• Re: Re: Hotel and car in Georgetown?

by TubbySmith Online Now Jun 3, 2004 at 2:46 PM

Thanks all for the advice. I took your advice and didn't rent a car but it's nice to know that orbitz now has that option for my future trips. Thanks again.

• soccergrrl's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Hotel and car in Georgetown?

by soccergrrl Online Now Jun 4, 2004 at 10:48 AM

Hope you enjoy(ed) your trip!

• ismailb's Profile Photo

RE: Hotel and car in Georgetown?

by ismailb Online Now Oct 23, 2005 at 7:57 PM

it is if U plan on getting ripped paying for parking ..

• jethanand's Profile Photo

by jethanand Online Now Sep 29, 2008 at 10:41 AM

The locals depend on the buses which are quite frequent in that area.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines