Travel Answers
Genoa

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• manhtuank8's Profile Photo

Genoa / San Remo (Italy) or Nice (France)

San Remo Apr 14, 2014 at 6:35 PM

Hi friends,

In September, my gangs and i will have a short trip to Italy and France. We are changing one of our destination from Turin to Genoa / San Remo or Nice.

Please advise me that between

- Sanremo with a stop at Genoa en route transferring from Florence

- or Nice with a stop at Monte Carlo en route

which one is better for foods, sight, and value (we have tight budget)?

Thanks in advance

Tuan

more
    • trains to Florence

La Spezia Apr 5, 2014 at 11:46 AM

Are there earlier trains to Florence from La Spezia. The earliest one I can find departs at 8pm

more
    • buitensorg's Profile Photo

Cheap and cheerful hotel

Chiavari Mar 27, 2014 at 12:50 AM

We are looking for a hotel in Chiavari for one night in October. For 3 adults. OR an apartment? near the train station if possible. OR seeing we are taking the regional train from Milan........where would you stop for an overnight (having just flown into Italy) en route to Chiavari. thanks!

more
    • Savona centre from costa cruise ship

Savona Apr 3, 2014 at 6:02 AM

Hi everybody, we're a family of 4 and would like to do a walking tour of Savona from cruise ship, please come with some good ideas, thx:)

more
    • Where can I learn italian language in this region?

San Remo Mar 26, 2014 at 5:56 AM

Hi guys

I am going soon for a short trip in Italy and I'll stay a few days in Liguria (Genova's region).

I am wondering if one of you guys had experience in italian school for foreigners there!

thanks

Jp

more
    • Ferry trip in CT

Corniglia Apr 6, 2014 at 10:14 AM

How long does the ferry trip take from La Spezia to last of the villages? We thought we could take the ferry up & then use the train back to Corniglia, where we have a booking for 2 nights. Also where do we look for a ferry timetable?
      Thanks.

more
    • free walking trail maps

Santa Margherita Ligure Mar 31, 2014 at 9:19 PM

where or how can I get free walking trail maps for walks out of santa margherita ligure

more
    • Train to Milan

Monterosso al Mare Mar 26, 2014 at 12:25 AM

Is there a morning train from Monterosso to Milan? We have a 4pm flight to Germany to catch

more
    • least challenging walk from train to one of the villages

Monterosso al Mare Apr 15, 2014 at 1:14 PM

I have an 80 year grandfather who wants to walk from the train down to one of the villages. Which village has the least challenging walk from Train to village?

more
    • Sunday Cinque Terre regional train times

Riomaggiore Apr 13, 2014 at 5:50 AM

I have found the Cinque Terre train time schedule found on cinqueterre.eu.com/en/cinque... and am confused about the times for (Column B) Sunday train times to La Spezia. It looks like there's only one train at 9:00am. Is that possibly true or am I reading the timetable wrong? Does the Cinque Terre regional train run out of Riomaggiore to La Spezia more frequently? I need to get to La Spezia to catch the 8:20am train out to Rome. Can anyone, does anyone have info to assist in my Sunday travel worries?

more
    • Train from Florence to Santa Margherita

Santa Margherita Ligure Mar 31, 2014 at 2:07 AM

Hi, I am wanting to get a train from Florence to Santa Margherita. Is there 1 stop in Pisa and what is the fastest train? Once in Santa Margherita, what is the best/easiest way to get to hotels (centrally)? We will have children with us, so easiest & quickets is best. Also, is there good nightlife in Santa Margherita? Thank you!

more
    • kbr61263's Profile Photo

Walking in Cinque terre and transport around portovenere and bay of poets with disabled daughter

Liguria Apr 8, 2014 at 7:42 AM

we are staying close to portovenere next week, my wife and I with disabled daughter. She does not normally use a wheelchair for short journeys, but we have decided to bring her chair with us as she has been having some difficulty recently. She can climb stairs but is quite slow. My plan is to spend perhaps 2 days visiting the 5terre, one day by boatand one day by train. Are any of the walks likely to be suitable with a wheelchair? She can climb a few flights of stairs or small groups now and again whilst I can carry the chair up, but we couldnt manage hundreds.

We have 4 or 5 days in the area, my plan would be to do the islands off portovenere on one day and the bay of poets (by bus) the other. does this seem a reasonable plan? any suggestions to make getting about easier? I am assuming a hire car is more trouble than its worth.

I would like to be in 5terre for sunset at least one evening, how frequent are busses trains in the evening to get back to portovenere (le grazie).

There appears to be a ferry marked on maps from le grazie to lerici? Any info?

more
    • virtue62's Profile Photo

Travelling from Nice to Cinque Terre

Riomaggiore Apr 11, 2014 at 4:40 PM

Can I please have some ideas??

more
    • Romantic accommodation with sea-view for under 140Eu per night? Possible?

Riomaggiore Apr 3, 2014 at 3:33 PM

We're on a budget but I'm planning on proposing to my girlfriend here in CT. So far, we love Monterosso or Vernazza. I'm having a difficult time finding available accommodation for 3 nights (end of this month) for less than 140eu per night. I'd love to find a cute B&B, Vacation Rental or anything with a balcony or rooftop terrace with a sea-view.

Any ideas? Would be nice to have this private and romantic area of ours for me to propose in. :-)

Thanks!

more
    • TamiN's Profile Photo

Italian Riviera...is it worth it?

by TamiN Online Now Mar 16, 2014 at 10:45 AM

We are traveling from San Gimignano to the Cannes or Nice area. We are considering staying for one night some place in between. Genova is the center of that area but I don't know anything about it and it looks quite industrial...was considering avoiding it. Any opinions on a place? Or should we push through and just stay in France? We're trying to keep it to about $100 per night.

9 Answers Apr 12, 2014 at 4:24 AM
    • 4 days in genoa April 2014

by HPtravels Online Now Mar 11, 2014 at 10:49 AM

What would you recommend that two middle aged ladies do in Genoa over 4 days? We like walking, museums, galleries, people watching and I'd love to see some dolphins. We are on a budget but love good authentic food.
      I challenge you to sort a schedule for us! Many thanks
      HP

7 Answers Apr 14, 2014 at 3:45 AM
    • ValeryCollins's Profile Photo

good, reasonable hotel near Genoa city centre

by ValeryCollins Online Now Sep 20, 2013 at 3:13 PM

I am looking for a small but nice and reasonably priced hotel near the city centre - any recommendations?

5 Answers Oct 30, 2013 at 2:01 AM
    • Boat from Portovenere to Genoa

by Browner01 Online Now Aug 31, 2013 at 7:57 AM

Hi,
      Can I get a boat from Portovenere to Genoa on Friday 13 September 2013
      Thanks
      Edward

9 Answers Sep 1, 2013 at 10:23 AM
    • diana_renou's Profile Photo

Best area for a woman alone

by diana_renou Online Now Aug 20, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Hi, could anybody tell me which is the safest are to stay in Genoa for a 60 years old woman traveling alone? A lot of thanks for your advice!!

2 Answers Aug 21, 2013 at 2:03 PM
    • cheapest transfer to holiday inn

by marlenejoan Online Now Aug 19, 2013 at 5:15 AM

we are taking a cruise from genoa to south africa in oct and will stay at holiday inn, genoa port. what is the best option to get from the airport to the hotel please?

5 Answers Aug 19, 2013 at 3:52 PM
    • BrodskiyP's Profile Photo

Best beaches not far from Genoa

by BrodskiyP Online Now Jul 7, 2013 at 6:17 PM

Can you reccomend me the best beaches not far from Genoa and how to reach them? Thank you in advance!

2 Answers Jul 8, 2013 at 3:10 AM
    • Florist

by Katijana Online Now Apr 21, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Where to buy flowers?

3 Answers Apr 22, 2013 at 6:24 PM
    • 15301's Profile Photo

Question title

by 15301 Online Now Apr 16, 2013 at 4:02 AM

How can I go to Savona Pier from the Airport of Genoa ?

8 Answers May 3, 2013 at 9:35 PM
    • pepemorris11's Profile Photo

Visiting Genoa for a few hours from cruise terminal

by pepemorris11 Online Now Apr 13, 2013 at 7:16 PM

My husband( who has mobility problems and uses a walking stick) and I will be taking a Western Mediterrannean cruise leaving Rome and visiting Genoa, Provence (Marseilles), Barcelona, Palma De Mallorca and Valencia in Spain and back to Rome. When the ship docks, our time is limited when visiting these cities/towns.
      I am also hard-pressed for time to do my own homework what with all the packing and medical appointments for the 2 of us,hence would appreciate any suggestions as to how we could go about and see some of the sights or town.
      We don't have to do the must-see places unless it is really accessible by public transport as we are not taking the shore excursions from the ship as they are really astronomical in price and have been very disappointing.
      1) Would appreciate info on how to get to nearest public transport station be it bus/metro from cruise terminal.(even if possible whether there are free shuttles from the berth to entrance of cruise terminal as that would save us walking the distance)
      2) We don't even mind walking around town just enjoying the ambience so long as we can get reasonable and frequent public transport services back to cruise terminal.
      Would appreciate any kind of help asap as we are leaving in a ffew days' time
      Many thanks

3 Answers Apr 15, 2013 at 2:27 AM
    • Coach travel

by Delores49 Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 4:24 AM

We (3 adults) will be in Genoa for 3 days in November 2013. My husband would like to see the leaning tower of Pisa and I would like to see Milan. What means of transport do you suggest.
      Regards
      Delores (nlehmensich@telkomsa.co)

8 Answers Mar 29, 2013 at 2:17 AM
    • HELP!!! Visit Genoa or Cinque Terre?

by andie009 Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 5:11 AM

Hi....
      My boyfriend and I will be traveling North-West from Florence and only have time to visit either Cinque Terre or Genoa, before making our way up to Milan. Any suggestions as to what has more to offer? attractions, sight-seeing, food, wine?

4 Answers Mar 26, 2013 at 8:15 AM
    • One day in Genoa- first time tourist

by mustasa Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Hi! we are a family of 4(couple plus 2 kids 8&12yo), coming in for a day (more like 8-10 hrs) from a cruise stop. This is our first time in Genoa. We dont want to take the day tour, and do touring on our own. Have a few questions?
      1. Are there enough memorable attractions to visit in Genoa? if yes, may I know what those are?
      2. Or are we better off to go to Portofino? if yes, may I know the best things to do there?
      Thank you and looking forward to your responses...
      Catherine

6 Answers Mar 26, 2013 at 5:15 AM
    • bhrousemd's Profile Photo

Shop in Genoa that sell minatures with moving parts

by bhrousemd Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 2:25 PM

On my first trip to beautiful Genova over New Years 2011, while getting lost in the caruggi on the way to lunch at Taggiou, I came across a little shop that had (made) minatures. In the window were scenes of baker, butcher, farrier, etc - every craft/occupation you can think of - and they all had moving parts. I was in total awe of it and have tried to find it on my last two trips (Feb 2012 and Nov. 2012). If any one knows the shop name and/or loaction, I would appreciate it. Grazie!

• port of genoa to hotel Grande savona

by hypoflo Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 3:53 AM

Will be travelling with 2 suitcases. What is the least expensive way to get to the hotel from the cruise terminal?

1 Answer Feb 12, 2013 at 6:47 AM
    • Archway's Profile Photo

Various questions about Genoa

by Archway Online Now Jan 6, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me. I have a few questions about being in Genoa for an extended period.

1) I am looking for supermarkets in Genoa. I know there are several small supermarkets all over town, but I'm looking for bigger supermarkets. I have been to the Coop near Piazza de Ferrari, and while I found it handy, I'm looking for a supermarket, or supermarkets that are a bit bigger and carry a bigger variety of goods.

2) I'm looking for department stores in Genoa. Can anyone give me the names and addresses of any department stores?

3) I need to make international calls from Italy to various countries. I've bought an international phonecard, but was wondering if anyone knew of a service like PlanetTalk (UK based) that offers easy and cheaper calls from Italy. With PlanetTalk you get a number online which you dial, followed by your contact number. You don't have to register, or pre-pay. It is just straightforward. Is there such a service in Italy?

4) I would like to visit old medieval villages (inland or coastal), or any other pretty villages, but I can only do so by public transport (buses and/or trains). Can anyone recommend any villages or beautiful places in the region to visit?

I will try and visit the following places by public transport if possible:
      - Manarola
      - Monterosso
      - Portofino
      - Riomaggiore
      - Vernazza

I am also interested in villages that are off the beaten track, or overlooked by tourists.

5) What is the best / easiest way to get to the above villages? I know trains run to La Spezia and from there you can get trains, but it seems very seasonal (spring and summer). I will be traveling from Genoa, so need information from Genoa to these and other villages.

6) Are there any walks along a promenade in Genoa? I'm not talking about the walk along the harbour area, but rather, a walk along a promenade or path along the sea? If not, what are the nearest places where I could go to walk along the sea and/or promenade?

7) Are there any vegetarian restaurants in Genoa? Also, can anyone recommend a good, but not too expensive Indian restaurant in Genoa? I've been to Shapla and enjoyed it, but would like to try another Indian restaurant.

Many thanks.

22 Answers Jan 31, 2013 at 4:43 PM
    • Genova-Portofino

by ahron15 Online Now Oct 30, 2012 at 11:52 AM

What is the easiest way to go, by public transportation, from Genova to Portofino?

3 Answers Oct 30, 2012 at 9:54 PM
    • silab's Profile Photo

Genoa airport to port

by silab Online Now Aug 3, 2012 at 4:02 AM

hi.
      how far is the airport to the port? going to a cruise that leaves the port at 17:00.
      my plane arrives to the airport at 11:00,
      what's the best way to reach the port/ ??

thanks.

4 Answers Sep 9, 2012 at 8:51 AM
    • arturo35's Profile Photo

Four days in Genoa

by arturo35 Online Now Aug 2, 2012 at 5:58 AM

We are going next week to Genoa. Our planning is:
      1 day - Genoa
      2 day - Portofino / Santa Marguerite
      3 day - Genoa / Nervi
      4 day - Cinque Terre
      I would like to enjoy my days in Genoa, and I have been reading in internet .... but I would like to receive a few usefull advices from people from there, about the best places to visit, a good pizzeria, a nice walk, .....
      Any advice will be really wellcome !!!!
      Thank you very much

2 Answers Aug 3, 2012 at 12:05 AM
    • Cost of living at Genoa .

by vaibhavjain Online Now Apr 27, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Hey all! Hello!

I am an Indian student. I recently got an internship at NITEL Italy. I would like to know the best and the cheapest way to spend my two months of summer there! I am alone & it would be helpful if anyone can suggest me a way to find a roommate(I have heard that would be reasonable).
      Thank you in advance!

1 Answer Apr 27, 2012 at 12:35 PM
    • Genoa (Airport) to Rapallo by train

by Noreve Online Now Mar 20, 2012 at 9:13 AM

Family of 7 (4 adults, 3 children @13/8/6months)going to a wedding in Rapallo in Sept, staying 7 nights. Is there a train station at airport or do we taxi to nearest station? There is a thought of hiring a large people carrier/van but I'm really not keen to drive in Italy.
      Any advice welcome.

6 Answers Mar 20, 2012 at 12:19 PM
    • schmechi's Profile Photo

Tickets for Genoa 1893

by schmechi Online Now Mar 15, 2012 at 2:38 PM

I want to visit Genoa 1893 vs. Fiorentina on March 25th... Will it be possible to buy the tickets right before the match in front of the stadium? Or are they only sold via other channels of distribution?

I know that they will be personalized, so I'll take my passport with me... Will it be a problem, that I am no Ligurian (but Austrian) citizen?

Thanx in advance!

1 Answer Mar 15, 2012 at 9:42 PM
    • HRGafford's Profile Photo

August in (or around) Genoa - Accommodations?

by HRGafford Online Now Feb 13, 2012 at 9:28 AM

My wife and I will be embarking on a 2-wk trip (Venice-Genoa-Avignon/Provence-Paris) which will include 4 days in Genoa the first week of August. It's been over a decade since I've been to Italy, and have never been to Genoa. We have had some success finding suggestions for off-the-beaten path activities, et cetera. Where I am having a difficult time is with hotel recommendations. Our budget is around120 US or 100 euro per night, and safe accommodations close to public transit or points of interest (for us that means good local food and drink, not necessarily landmarks), are the most important factors. Doesn't necessarily have to be in Genoa proper, as long as we can find a few facts about the commute. I appreciate any feedback, or personal experiences that anyone would like to share. Cheers and Grazie!

Read more: VT Forum temporarily unavailable

10 Answers Feb 14, 2012 at 10:21 AM
    • bhrousemd's Profile Photo

Genoa in February

by bhrousemd Online Now Dec 3, 2011 at 4:51 PM

I was in beautiful Genoa last year for New Years and had such a wonderful time I am returning this year in February for a week. A gal pal will be traveling with me, so we will be more inclined to go out at night. Can anyone suggest a club or bar with music and/or dancing suitable for 40 year old's looking to have a good time?

3 Answers Dec 4, 2011 at 6:49 PM
    • anneesussex's Profile Photo

Boat charter

by anneesussex Online Now Jul 6, 2011 at 11:57 AM

Hello fellow tourists,
      Am going to be in Genoa next weekend and would love to be able to charter a boat for the day as would love to go to Portofino and take time to sail around the coast.
      Any info on if this would be appreciated.
      Thank you
      Annee

1 Answer Jul 6, 2011 at 7:30 PM
    • Travel to Prague

by sunflower92 Online Now May 26, 2011 at 12:38 PM

What is the cheapest way to travel to Prague form Genoa? My son is now on a ferry from Sicily and will arrive in Genoa tomorrow and I said I would try to help him and find out how he can get to Prague. Can anyone help? Or suggest what website to look at? Thanks

6 Answers May 28, 2011 at 12:57 PM
    • Public transport from Cruiseship Port to Genoa Airport

by Dave_Dodd Online Now Apr 24, 2011 at 4:18 AM

Hi Guys, Please help with transport hints from the cruiseship terminal port to Genoa's airport towards the end of May 2011. Best method, cost and duration. Greetings from South Africa, DAVE.

2 Answers Apr 24, 2011 at 4:50 AM
    • saturday night in genoa?!

by UweWoller Online Now Apr 22, 2011 at 1:27 PM

hi, i am tomorrow evening/night in genoa, wanna eat well and then go out for bar/club/...anyone an advice? thx! Uwe

1 Answer Apr 22, 2011 at 3:44 PM
    • Would like to know the BEST way to Portofino & the Acquarium

by frankfar Online Now Mar 30, 2011 at 3:58 AM

Hi to everyone!! We'll dock in the port of Genova from a Cruiseliner this May for a day. We're planning to go to Portofino and the Acquarium. To reach Portofino which is the best way by ferry or by train? either/or would appreciate if you could specify the trip. The acquarium is a walking distance far from the port? Thanks in advance for any kind suggestion, regards!!

7 Answers Apr 17, 2011 at 11:21 PM
    • Supermarket around Genova Principe station

by asap2u Online Now Feb 13, 2011 at 9:16 AM

Hi !
      Is there any supermarket with food around Genova Principe station or Via Balbi
      (with long opening hours) ?

TIA

1 Answer Feb 24, 2011 at 10:51 AM