Genoa Travel Answers

change location

HELP!!! Visit Genoa or Cinque Terre?

by andie009 Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 5:11 AM

Hi....
My boyfriend and I will be traveling North-West from Florence and only have time to visit either Cinque Terre or Genoa, before making our way up to Milan. Any suggestions as to what has more to offer? attractions, sight-seeing, food, wine?

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • goodfish's Profile Photo

Re: HELP!!! Visit Genoa or Cinque Terre?

by goodfish Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 5:25 AM

I've only done the CT but can't say one has "more" than another: they're very different. Genoa is a city, and the CT is a collection of picturesque little villages. If you're into museums, lots of fine dining, etc. I'd choose Genoa. If you're into photography, scenery and/or hiking, I'd choose the CT.

Depending on time of year, the CT can be very, very busy, and exploring the villages properly does involve lots of steep uphill climbs and steps so if you have any mobility issues, I'd go with Genoa. We loved the CT, though; could have used another day there.

2 members found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Basaic's Profile Photo

by Basaic Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 5:30 AM

goodfish wrote:
    I've only done the CT but can't say one has "more" than another: they're very different. Genoa is a city, and the CT is a collection of picturesque little villages. If you're into museums, lots of fine dining, etc. I'd choose Genoa. If you're into photography, scenery and/or hiking, I'd choose the CT.

Depending on time of year, the CT can be very, very busy, and exploring the villages properly does involve lots of steep uphill climbs and steps so if you have any mobility issues, I'd go with Genoa. We loved the CT, though; could have used another day there.

I totally agree with the above and personally prefer CT over Genoa.  It really depends on your interests and how the steep walking would affect  you.  Both would provide you with great memories as they did me.

1 member found this helpful

• Saul1220's Profile Photo

by Saul1220 Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 7:38 AM

CT are very beautiful. There is a (relatively) level coastal footpath between some of the villages, which is stunning, going through all the vineyards above the sea. Magic.
    Genova of course is well woth a visit, but the CT are more unique, if you see what I mean!
    Saul, Hereford UK

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

by Beausoleil Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 8:15 AM

I definitely prefer the CT, but I prefer villages to cities. It's very hard to compare a large busy city with a series of picturesque and quaint villages. As an earlier response said, you should think about what you want to do. You'll find good food and plenty to do in either place. If you live in a city, it might be more fun to explore the CT just for a change. If you already live in a quaint village, it might be exciting to spend time in a big, gritty city. It's always fun to find new experiences when you travel.

Whichever you choose, have a nice trip.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines