Genoa Travel Answers

change location

One day in Genoa- first time tourist

by mustasa Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Hi! we are a family of 4(couple plus 2 kids 8&12yo), coming in for a day (more like 8-10 hrs) from a cruise stop. This is our first time in Genoa. We dont want to take the day tour, and do touring on our own. Have a few questions?
1. Are there enough memorable attractions to visit in Genoa? if yes, may I know what those are?
2. Or are we better off to go to Portofino? if yes, may I know the best things to do there?
Thank you and looking forward to your responses...
Catherine

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • loksch's Profile Photo

Re: One day in Genoa- first time tourist

by loksch Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Go to Portofino.....it is a quaint 'village' at the end of the road that has a mystique and xharm about it. There are no secrets in this place as it is tiny....one street, a "U" shaped harbor that is an art form in itself. You will spend a very enjoyable time here.
    Take care

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • balhannah's Profile Photo

by balhannah Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 10:41 PM

Hi again! Looks like quite a few of your ports were the same as ours. We went to Genoa too! Quite historical with lots of Churches that you should pay a visit inside. Plenty here, more than enough to fill in a day. This is what I did "GENOA - THE CITY OF BEAUTIFUL CHURCHES" - Genoa by balhannah and you will see we packed in heaps. I always research before going, then I know exactly what to do when we arrive. We always look around by ourselves, not on a ship's tour.
    I wouldn't go elsewhere, as Italy has strikes at any old time. I would hate you to be late back to the Ship.

• lichinga's Profile Photo

by lichinga Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 1:41 AM

Portofino is a great target but it will be a rush and I guess you would have to "motivate" the kids. Otherwise, you may bring them here: acquariodigenova.it/cms/ENG/... , my son is the same age and he adores it. And then spend some tome walking in the tiny streets of the centre, have some good focaccia or some other tasty local food supporting you in surviving the sad cruise-like cuisine.

• globetrott's Profile Photo

by globetrott Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 5:34 PM

there is a lot to see in Genua and your children might enjoy especially the giant Sea-aquarium, that is one of the biggest in Europe and it is not more than maybe 400 meters from your ship !
    Walking to the most interesting places is also quite easy in genua.
    And then there is also a large Pirate-ship from a funny Hollywood-movie docked permanentely in the port of genua.
    For Portofino you have to change trains at least 1 time in Sta. Maria Ligure and I doubt that small children will enjoy the scenery there, especially as they might see the pirate-ship already from your ship maybe.

• Re: One day in Genoa- first time tourist

by jeanfinney Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Once on a spontaneous trip I spent the night near Genoa (too expensive in Genoa) and I went into the city for a glimpse - and it was BEAUTIFUL - I will never forget that glimpse! Don't miss it!

• bhrousemd's Profile Photo

by bhrousemd Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 5:15 AM

"Are there enough memorable attractions to visit in Genoa?" Hi Mustasa! I can say that there is plenty to see and do in Genoa for a day, depending on what your interests are. Genoa is a great city to walk, however with two kids in toe, you may want to take advantage of the city's Metro. I would start in the harbor and Bigo. If you are hungry, stop into Eatly and grab a quick bit. Then make your way up to San Lorenzo Cathedral. From there make your way to Piazza de Ferrari and stroll down Via XX Settembre with a stop in at the Mercato Oriental (market). Take a little side trip to Casa di Colombo for a look at the house where Columbus was born. find your way back to the fountain at de Ferrrari and head to Via Garibaldi to Via Cairoli to Via Balbi. This will lead you past some of the beautiful Palazzos, and the magnificant Annunziata del Vastato back to Station Principe. If you have time, stop in at Lupo Antica Trattoria for a fantastic dinner.

Depending on when you are going, your other option is to catch a boat ride to Portofino - but you can obviously sense my love for wonderfully funky Genoa! Either way enjoy!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines