Geiranger Travel Answers

change location

Dalsnibba down to Geiranger port

by johnmcclean Online Now Feb 28, 2010 at 12:14 AM

Hi,
Were arriving in Geiranger via cruise ship in August. Could we get a taxi up to Dalsnibba viewpoint and then walk back down to Geiranger on our own safely ,with active children aged 10-13 yrs.
Is there a well marked trail or do we need a guide.
How long would the taxi ride take and at what cost
How long would it take us to hike down from Dalsnibba

Many thanks

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • globetrott's Profile Photo

Re: Dalsnibba down to Geiranger port

by globetrott Online Now Feb 28, 2010 at 2:32 AM

hi,
    that is really quite some distance to hike, I have done it only by car, so I am not sure if its possible to do it within the few hours that most cruiseships will stay there. In addition to the taxi-cost you will also have to pay the toll of about 80 kronen for the dalsnibba-road.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • foona's Profile Photo

by foona Online Now Feb 28, 2010 at 6:13 AM

The distance is about 20 km long, and I would estimate you'll need at least four hours.

Be the first to rate this answer!

• evaanna's Profile Photo

by evaanna Online Now Feb 28, 2010 at 10:43 AM

There is no other trail but the main road so you would have to walk along it, no need for a guide but it may not be safe with children that age as there may be a lot of traffic - all cars and coaches take that road as it's the only one out of Geiranger in that direction. And while still on Dalsnibba it could be dangerous too if the children start chasing each other or playing. The slopes of the mountain are rocky and steep and there are hardly any barriers.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines