Geiranger Travel Answers

change location

Geiranger Popular Activities

by HappySmile Online Now May 2, 2008 at 11:26 PM

Hi All,

I plan to have some vacation in Geiranger for 1 or 2 days. Actually what I want to see is:
- The great Trollstigen (north route from Geiranger to Andalsnes)
- Beautiful Dalsnibba (south route to Grotli)
- The gigantic rock Flydalsjuvet (south route)

For the Trollstigen, I would like to use bus (The Golden Route). Is The Golden Route cover route from Geiranger to Andalsnes (not Andalsnes to Geiranger)? The problem is that I will go in 28 - 29 May 2008 and the Golden Route itself operate in June 2008. Does anyone can give me some alternative?

For the Dalsnibba, is there any public transportation that I can use except Golden Route?

For Flydalsjuvet, what public transportation that cover this route?

Also, if I rent car, it have minimum 3 days car rental and it's so expensive. So I would like to have some pt or motorcycle.. Need help if anyone knows for motorcycle rental with minimum budget and not minimum 3 days.. Many thanks before

BR,
Christoper

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • geigen's Profile Photo

Re: Geiranger Popular Activities

by geigen Online Now May 3, 2008 at 6:42 AM

Hi, you will probably want to check out SailorRoar's pages. He grew up in the area.

From what I could see from the Fjord1 pages, the tour route The Golden Route doesn't start until June. There are, however, normal busses in the area. You could, for example take a bus to Molde and from there get the bus to Hellesylt (Stranda kommune - the Geiranger fjord area). The views are pretty spectacular from normal busses throughout the area. There seems to be a taxi service that will drive you to Dalsnibba and back.

I don't know why you would need to rent a car for 3 days. That is certainly not a general rule normally. Of course car rental is expensive in Norway. I wouldn't try motorcycle. It rains a lot here. I would try to piece together a bus route.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • SailorRoar's Profile Photo

by SailorRoar Online Now May 8, 2008 at 1:52 PM

Hi, you are probably looking for a bus route that goes from Andalsnes to Geiranger or opposite, since you mentioned Trollstigen. Unfortunately I can't find any bus connection that goes over Trollstigen on these dates, it is as mentioned possible to go other routes, but they are a bit tricky(lots of changes, involving several buses, boat, some walking and a lot of waiting). And you will miss out on Trollstigen. So I would recomend renting a car. Or maybe see if you can find a tour company that operates the Golden Route, there are a lot of buses that isn't scheduled buses. Maybe if you contact the tourist information in Geiranger (Tel: +47 70263099) or Andalsnes (Tel: +47 71221622 Web: www.visitandalsnes.com
    E-mail: info@visitandalsnes.com ).

I have never rented cars in this area, but I have rented for just one days elsewhere, but you are right, they are a bit on the pricy side.

I think it will be hard to find Motorcycle rental in that area (you might find moped on campsites but I wouldn't trust that sort of equipment on roads like Trollstigen and Ørnevegen or Dalsnibba for that sake), and even if you find something, I wouldn't recommend Motorcycles eigher unless you are very experienced on MC. These roads are very narrow, lots of turns and going off is.... well not an option ;)

• geigen's Profile Photo

by geigen Online Now May 10, 2008 at 12:59 AM

I was over in the general Åndalsnes area two days ago. They are still plowing Trollstigen out although they radio said that it was going fairly quickly. I think the official opening of the route is right around when you will be there. Don't worry too much about specific rocks or routes; the whole area is fantastic.
    Susan

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines