Geiranger Travel Answers

change location

route from Geiranger to Balestrand

by xrayedit Online Now Mar 28, 2006 at 4:47 PM

Hi!

I am planning a vacations throught the fjords this june and need help. I can not find the route I would take to get from Geiranger to Balestrand in one day. I am hoping to use these two places as a base for hiking. Please send any info you have or know. Is it even possible?

Thanks,
Frustrated in Canada

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • travelfrosch's Profile Photo

RE: route from Geiranger to Balestrand

by travelfrosch Online Now Mar 28, 2006 at 5:51 PM

Why are you frustrated? I did a Google search to find an answer, and found a VT thread that you yourself started in the Norway forum about a month ago. The advice there was excellent.

The answer seems to be buses to Fjaerland via Stryn, then a boat from Fjaerland to Balestrand. Can you do it in a day? Probably, but it's not certain yet. The summer timetables won't be published for another month or so (as I recently found out myself... 8).

Mark

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • 30something's Profile Photo

RE: RE: RE: route from Geiranger to Balestrand

by 30something Online Now Mar 29, 2006 at 1:05 AM

Well it might be possible depending on when in June and what day of week, but I would not advice it. Weekdays you could first take the ferry to Hellesylt and then via Vadheim by bus arriving Balestrand 21:30. After June 15. all days of week you could go by bus from Geiranger up the mountains to Grotli and from there take the bus via Vadheim for the bus arriving Balestrand 21:30

Would instead suggest ending in Fjærland. Fjærland is also good for hiking, but is a small village with not as many tourists and restaurants. Travelling weekdays, there will be no problem getting to Fjærland from Geiranger via Hellesylt.

The scenic ferry from Fjærland to Balestrand only run twice a day. If going to Balestrand via Fjærland, you have to start the morning in Hellesylt at 7:30 on weekdays getting to Fjærland 10:45. You then have a few hours in the 'booktown' before the ferry leaves for Balestrand.

• 30something's Profile Photo

RE: RE: route from Geiranger to Balestrand

by 30something Online Now Mar 29, 2006 at 1:11 AM

Info on Fjærland:
    http://www.fjaerland.org/

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines