Geiranger Travel Answers

change location

road to Geiranger and Dalsnibba

by Erik35 Online Now Feb 11, 2006 at 1:20 PM

When I want to drive to Geiranger, and coming from Lom and Ottodalen, can I easily take the road at the right side at Breiddalen, to Geiranger?
I hope it is not too difficult with the serpentines.
Is this a toll free road, or is it the same as the Dalsnibba toll road?

I councilled a routeplanner, but this routeplanner gave for advice to make a roundaway via Stryn, Grodas, and Hellesylt, and taking over there the ferry to Geiranger. But this would take a lot of more time and kilometers.

Anyone who knows the region, and who can give me good advice?

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • 30something's Profile Photo

RE: road to Geiranger and Dalsnibba

by 30something Online Now Feb 11, 2006 at 2:35 PM

I drive this road at least once every year for summer holiday. It's easy to drive to Geiranger from Lom. Turn left just before the tunnel to Stryn, it's clearly marked and I don't think it possible to miss. It is not a toll road, but the road is closed during winter months and that might be the reason why your route planner didn't suggest it. Just before the road starts descending down to Geiranger, it is possible to turn left at a small toll both and take the small gravel road up to Dalsnibba overlooking Geiranger. If not visiting during high season the toll both is self-service. It's not expensive and well worth going up there if the skies are clear. If fog, skip going to Dalsnibba. Going down to Geiranger there's a lot of serpentines, but it's not difficult to drive. Just remember to drive in low-gear and use your breaks as little as possible. There are several view-points going down. Make sure to stop at some of them, some can be a little crowded but it is worth it.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • 30something's Profile Photo

RE: RE: road to Geiranger and Dalsnibba

by 30something Online Now Feb 11, 2006 at 2:39 PM

Toll booth ~ sorry...

• evaanna's Profile Photo

by evaanna Online Now Feb 13, 2006 at 3:52 AM

The road from Lom to Geiranger is very easy, no serpentines, except for the last few kilometres when you go down to Geiranger. You don't have to go up the Dalsnibba road, it's only there that you pay the toll. But be careful if you drive there out of the season,until May this road may be closed because of snow.

1 member found this helpful

• evaanna's Profile Photo

by evaanna Online Now Feb 13, 2006 at 3:57 AM

And do read my warning tip on Dalsnibba (on my Geiranger page). It might come in handy.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines