Geiranger Travel Answers

change location
Ustory's Profile Photo

Geiranger & Adjacent region

by Ustory Online Now May 20, 2005 at 2:36 PM

Hello,
I'm planning to travel around Geiranger region for some days.
The villages I want to visit are Dalsnibba, Hellesylt, Birksdal Glacier, Balestrand and finally Bergen.
I got some information for some famous cities like Hellesylt.
But, It's still difficult to find out some more.
1.Is there any transportation from Geiranger to Dalsnibba? Is it worthy to visit Dalsnibba Summit to see the fjord?
2.From Hellesylt, how can I get Birksdal Glacier? What I means is there was no matched bus station name, Birksdal or Jostedal Nat'l Park, in Norway bus website. What is the nearest bus station from Birksdal?
3.Where is famous place in Birksdal Glacier(Jostedal Nat'l Park)?

Because lack of railway in Norway, it is quite hard to get the itinery.
Thanks for your attention.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • RE: RE: Geiranger & Adjacent region

by ruffen Online Now May 20, 2005 at 3:46 PM

LOL @ train - it isn't easy to build train tracks through all those mountains and fjords at the west coast :)

I haven't been there since my child hood (driving the hair-pins-roads) but I googled and found these:
    re Dalsnibba;
    geirangerfjord.no/html/index...
    - I can't get that english page up!!!....hmm, scrolling down after choosing "Guideservice" the english and german text follows after norwegian :)
    - Prisar=prices, Kart=map, Servicebygg=service building

re Geiranger;
    http://www.geiranger.no/english.html

and the region (this page with links to local info centers & "how to get there")
    sognefjord.no/touristoffices...

...I FINALY found your Birksdal Glacier... it's name is Briksdal :)
    this hp for Briksdal have info re how to get there :))
    briksdalsbre.no/eng_html/hov...

have a nice trip, and hope this is some info you were looking for.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Saagar's Profile Photo

RE: Geiranger & Adjacent region

by Saagar Online Now May 21, 2005 at 3:52 PM

Hi, armed with a good map of Norway (or the region you want to visit) and the bus tables of Nor-Way Bussekspress you will be fine. Also ask in a travel bureau or tourist info office to see the " Rutebok for Norge" which has all public tranportation schedules in it. Do the detailed planning once you are here in Norway. For the Geiranger part it may pay off to take the Golden Route Package with Norwegian railways. The package includes train Oslo-Åndalsnes, bus from Åndalsnes up Trollstigveien, past Valldal, up Ørneveien/Eagles' Road, down to Geiranger up via Dalsnibba via Grotli then east to Otta and reconnect with the railway to Oslo. That's the package. From Geiranger you can take the ferry to Hellesylt and back - or continue westwards from Hellesylt via Hornindal and Loen and Olden to get to Briksdal. You can do the Golden Route package at the speed you want, and you can throw in accommodation as well when you order in Oslo on arrival or by net (www.nsb.no). It is a nice route and you should take your time doing it. To connect to Briksdal, diverge from the Geiranger-Otta road at Grotli and go west past Stryn/Stryn, past Loen and get off at Olden. Olden is your stopping point by express bus for Briksdal. There may be a local bus service at Olden, but chances are that there is none that connects well, so a local taxi or hitchhiking may also be possible. Briksdal is not really a village, more like scattered farms, but there is accommodation up at the end-of-the road parking before Briksdal Glacier. Good and dramatic hiking opportunities around there. You can hike up to the main plateau glacier Jostedalsbreen for a look via steep Kattenakken. Lots of tourists at Briksdalsbreen itself; the neighbouring glacier Brenndalsbreen in the next valley north has dramatic ice scenery also but no people.
    Good luck!
    Saagar

• 30something's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Geiranger & Adjacent region

by 30something Online Now May 23, 2005 at 1:56 AM

Some short answers in addition to the above mentioned.

1. There are tours going there from Geiranger in peak season, www.geirangerfjord.no
    In clear weather it's really nice both for the view of Geiranger, the view of the hight mountains to the east and for the road up there. But it is not worth it when it's cloudy, as it often is at the top. So you have to go and see what the weather brings. The Golden route bus from Andalsnes to Geiranger running from June 15. to Aug. 31 is greate, and it's not nesessary to buy it in a package. Timetable Golden route bus; fjord1.no/bussmore/default.a...

2. From Hellesylt you first have to go to Stryn. There is a Glacier bus running from Stryn from June 1. to Aug. 31. Out of season you have to take the bus to Olden busstop. Timetable Glacier bus; ruteinfo.net/ruter-f1/t/14-7...

3. Briksdal lies at the far end of Olden valley, the ordinary bus does not go into the Olden valley itself. But the Glacier bus from Stryn does.

Have a nice trip.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines