Geiranger Travel Answers

change location
sungupta's Profile Photo

3 days in the fjord region

by sungupta Online Now Jun 19, 2004 at 8:54 PM

Hi, We are a couple driving up from Oslo to Tromso. On the way we have 3 days for the Fjords (geiranger )and 3 days for the lofoten islands. Can you suggest convenient location to stay and what we can see and do in 3 days around the geiranger area ? Also some suggestions on inexpensive accomodation tips. We can spend 500 to 700 NOK per night. Sundeep

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • 30something's Profile Photo

Re: 3 days in the fjord region

by 30something Online Now Jun 20, 2004 at 4:09 AM

In Geiranger I would recommend staying in a cabin. A high standard cabin with private bathroom is in your pricerange. A good tip, would be to bring your own bed-linnen/Sheets (usually there is covers). I would try call for vacancies and specify that you would like a private bathroom with shower/wc. Calling is better than e-mailing as it can take some time getting an answer. There is a lot of cabins for rent in Geiranger, but in high season they quickly fill up. I would prefer staying somewhere uphill from Geiranger. Look at this page for accomodation: geiranger.no/camping__cabins... Do a day-trip to Stryn for a visit to the Briksdal Glacier. Take a short cruise on the fjord or join a kayak-adventure to an abandoned hillside farm. Walk in the mountains. Hopefully weather will be nice. On the road between Geiranger and Eidsdal there is a really idyllic little lake. Driving to Trollstigen from the south you will drive thru Valldal, known for its strawberries. If in the right season almost every house have a stand from where they have strawberries to offer.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer

by 30something Online Now Jun 20, 2004 at 4:37 AM

When travelling with children, staying at Dalen farm might be nice as children can go horseback riding and they also have other farm animals. dalengaard.no/nyweb/nyengels... Another option would be staying at Stryn Lake. It is a beautiful area, and not that far from Geiranger with a car (Between Stryn and Geiranger by car). Strynvatn camping is nice for children. Stryn town itself is more like a normal small town and nothing spectacular, where Geiranger is not even a town. strynsvatn.no/english/activi...

• sungupta's Profile Photo

Re: Re: 3 days in the fjord region

by sungupta Online Now Jun 20, 2004 at 11:22 AM

Thanks for the useful tips. How about it if we drive form Oslo to Sogndal, through flam. Then the next day come to Geiranger and stay there for 3 days. Is the drive via flam to Sogndal nice ? Are there things to see and do around Sogndal area ? We leave Oslo on 13 August and are without our children this trip. Any suggestions on what other activities we can do ? Sundeep

Re: Re: 3 days in the fjord region

by 30something Online Now Jun 22, 2004 at 8:21 AM

I don’t know which road you are going from Oslo to Flam, but E16 is fine. Crossing Filefjell mountain is nice. Driving down from the mountain, but still quite high up, you can stop at Borgund Stavkirke. This Old carved church is probably the prettiest one in Norway. It is easily missed even though it lies right by the road. I have never found Sogndal very interesting, but then I haven’t stopped for more than 5 minutes. I have probably missed a lot. There is a quite nice ferry crossing between Laerdal and Mannheller going to Sogndal. For activities in and around Sogndal: sognefjorden.no/Engelsk/inde...

Re: Continuing Re: 3 days in the fjord region

by 30something Online Now Jun 22, 2004 at 8:23 AM

Continuing northwest from Sogndal the road is running thru woods and tunnels, but getting closer to Fjaerland the scenery is really marvellous with the turquoise glacier water between the tunnels. Make a stop at the large viewpoint between tunnels close to Fjærland. You could visit the Glacier museum at Fjærland. I didn’t find it all that interesting, but the film showed of the Glaciers was nice. Before the tunnel in the end of the valley make a stop and park your car at the Glacier. Walk the 50 metres or so closer to the Glacier. In the pond/river down from the Glacier there are some bits of ice, maybe you could get hold of some… just don’t go to close – it can be dangerous. On the other side of the Fjærland tunnel you get to Jolster. Just when exiting this tunnel look to the right, the view of the river and the Jolster Lake is really beautiful esp. in sunny weather (I have several pictures in my album). From Skei you drive the narrow and stony Votedalen valley. There is usually lots of goats there and I find it amusing to stop by the road and scratch their backs (and I give them dry bread, I know I probably shouldn’t but I can’t help myself) Take care of your car, if the goats think there is food there it may get some rather nasty marks on it. From Byrkjelo you part from E39, and the turn is easily missed. From Byrkjelo to Olden the road is narrow and winding, but take your time and it will work fine. Remember to use low gears driving downhill so you don’t have to use your breaks as much. I don’t know if you will have time to visit the Briksdal Glacier in Olden, but if you don’t then turn right anyway at Olden and drive some of the Olden-valley before turning. The Olden lake is divided by a bridge halfway, this can be a good place to turn back to the fjord and continue to Stryn. The colours in the Olden valley is spectacular; I still remember the first time entering the valley and lake.

by 30something Online Now Jun 22, 2004 at 8:24 AM

I last did this trip 3 years ago, I’m doing some parts of it this year as well, but I’m not planning on driving to Fjærland and Stryn this year.

• sungupta's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Continuing Re: 3 days in the fjord region

by sungupta Online Now Jul 5, 2004 at 6:40 AM

Vow. You have really given me a whole lot of info. Thanks a lot. We plan to base ourselves in Stryn for 3 days and move around from there. I am deciding between Strynsvatn Camping and loen-pensjonat. Any suggestions on this ? Sundeep

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines