Gdansk Travel Answers

change location
PauloFMacedo's Profile Photo

Attractions & Off the Beaten Track

by PauloFMacedo Online Now Jun 13, 2005 at 3:02 PM

I`m preparing to visit Gdánsk 7, 8 August. maybe 9.
I`heard about s.dominic and carrilion music festival.
Which are the principals sightseeings?
can anyone recommend a good and budget accomodation and a place for cheap meals?
How can i go to Malbork. It´s worth a visit?

thanks

Paulo

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • zaffaran's Profile Photo

RE: Attractions & Off the Beaten Track

by zaffaran Online Now Jun 13, 2005 at 3:53 PM

Hi,
    Malbork is definitely worth visiting-don't worry,it's easily accessible by train.
    As long as accommodation is concerned-tell me what how much max. you can pay.There are many hotels in Gdansk, Sopot and Gdynia. On the other hand budget hostels in students' dorms are also available,but you must remember that it's high season so it's a good idea to book in advance.And what to see?Old Town as a whole-with it's churches(Saint Mary's is the most magnificent)and all these narrow streets full of tourists(as it's Saint Dominic fair!), cathedral in Oliva, visit to Sopot is a must, and don't forget to see Gdynia- the youngest of Tricity.
    Take care
    :-))

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • clmetal's Profile Photo

by clmetal Online Now Jun 13, 2005 at 4:57 PM

Gdansk was awesome - all around the main square you will find places to eat and the prices were very reasonable - probably less than half of what you pay in portugal. hotels were not as abundant as I was expecting. we stayed at the holiday inn near the train station. nice and reasonable

• 68maciek's Profile Photo

by 68maciek Online Now Jun 15, 2005 at 1:05 AM

Off the beaten truck -approx 160km west of Gdansk is moving dunes national park - Slowinski Park Narodowy.I enjoyed it (My family went there in the evening by bike from Leba- and we avoided the crowd there.There are some tips about it in VT.I found Polish (in English) web site: staff.amu.edu.pl/~zbzw/ph/pn....
    There are other places around Gdansk and Tricity.
    Frombork and cathedra- where Nicolaus Copernicus lived-about 150km east of Gdansk.
    Kaszuby region- lakes region and Wdzydze open air folk museum,Koscierzyna-railway open air museum.
    You can also go to hell if you wish- Hel polwysep (spite).Puck -a nice, small city on the way.
    This is what I liked there. I don't if it is interesting for you.
    Cheers,
    Maciek

• 68maciek's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Attractions & Off the Beaten Track

by 68maciek Online Now Jun 15, 2005 at 1:11 AM

I've just seen 'off the beaten truck'-at my begining.It sounds better than 'track' doesn't it? Bloody English!

• sihi's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Attractions & Off the Beaten Track

by sihi Online Now Jun 15, 2005 at 7:42 AM

Hi.

Malbork is worth a visit. One day you can spend for day-trip to Frombork and Elblag - historical towns.

:)

• Dagon's Profile Photo

by Dagon Online Now Jun 17, 2005 at 11:44 AM

Hello :)
    Three days are not much to look for some other, off the beaten track places :)

Two days I'd stay in Gdansk and Sopot (I would'n bother with Gdynia - the youngest, the least interesting...)
    One, or maybe quite big part of that day you will spend in Malbork - this castle is really huge :]

I Gdansk I'd suggest many places - the most important are on my Gdansk page, on first page of "Must see activities" :) I know, it looks like advertisment, but I don't want to write it all :)
    Except those places, worth seeing are Westerplatte, Three-crosses Monument, a bit more on Old, Main Town :)

During those days there will be also Dominic Fair - huge crouds, but nice atmosphere :)

You can stay one day in the centre of Gdansk, the second spend in Oliwa (district of Gdansk) and Sopot - Monte Cassino street and pier (if you like - also a beach, but there are many beaches in Tri-city :) ) The third day, can be spent in Malbork (just a small plan :) )

I'll probably be back from my trip, so I can help you around Gdansk (if you need some guide - just write to me :) )

I think, that's all for now :)

cheers
    Dagon

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Gdansk