Gdansk Travel Answers

change location

Any Suggestions?

by traveler326157 Online Now Oct 21, 2003 at 12:50 PM

Hello All! I'm planning a trip to Gdansk and I'm looking for any advice. I will be going from Copenhagen to Gdansk on a DFDS Cruise line and probably staying in Gdansk for a few days. Has anyone done this before, I haven't booked yet so if it's a terrible idea please let me know! Anyone been on a DFDS Cruise before? What are they like? Also any hotel or attraction in Gdansk that are really extraordinary? It will be from Dec26-Dec30 in Gdansk, is ther anything going on at this time? I am especially interested in tradation or typical polish things and staying away from tourists and touristy things. Alot of questions I know. Thank to everyone for helping!

Quote & Answer
26 Answers
  • gale.blog.pl's Profile Photo

Re: Any Suggestions?

by gale.blog.pl Online Now Oct 21, 2003 at 12:55 PM

Hi, I've never tried DFDS cruises before so no advice on those this time. As per Gdansk attractions, why don't you just check Gdarnsk pages of 'senior' vr-ers :) Regards, Adam :)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Any Suggestions?

by Boniunia Online Now Oct 21, 2003 at 1:40 PM

Hi there, In Gdansk you could stay at Hanza Hotel **** located in the center of Old Town. But I personally recommend you to stay in Sopot in Grand Hotel. It is one of the oldest Hotels in Gdansk area, with interesting history; a lot of famous people visited it (in the past: Adolf Hitler, Charles de Gaulle, more recently: Whitney Huston, Tina Turner...). This hotel has beautiful location on the beach, the view is splendid! To see more just visit: www.sopot.net/english.htm or www.gdansk.pl/index_us.aspr Gdansk-Sopot-Gdynia (called Trojmiasto) is wonderful place to visit in the summer time not in the winter. Moreover, you will be there till 30 December just not long enough to see the New Year festivities, which are great in Old Town of Gdansk (a real spectacle). Think also if you can enjoy your cruise while outside temperature can be - 10 °C (brr...freezing!) Have a good time there

• Azzuri's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Any Suggestions?

by Azzuri Online Now Oct 21, 2003 at 2:11 PM

In Gdansk - all attractions are around Old Town. You can also visit the Cathedral in Oliva. Sopot is a summer vacation place, but has a few nice cafes with ambiance (No5, Blekitny Pudel) on the main boulevard. Also don't miss the pier and Grand hotel. These two are my family towns so do not know hotels there. There is an old traditional restaurant in Gdansk - Kubicki - by the river boardwalk. Let me know if you need anything else.

• Sjalen's Profile Photo

by Sjalen Online Now Oct 22, 2003 at 2:05 AM

I haven't tried that particular ferry but I see it every week as I cross the bridge between home (Malmö) and work (Copenhagen) and it approaches Copenhagen. We have many other ones to Poland from closer Sweden so that's why I've never gone on this one but I have however gone with DFDS many times between Sweden and England and they are perfectly alright. Not as great an experience as the huge ferries between Stockholm and Helsinki but perfectly alright with restaurant, pub and decent cabins. Walking around in Copenhagen at lunch I often see Polish school classes which have come with the ferry so just make sure you get a mid-range cabin to get some peace and quiet in the night :-)))

• Sjalen's Profile Photo

by Sjalen Online Now Oct 22, 2003 at 2:10 AM

Just realised...have a look for yourself here: http://www.dfdsseaways.dk/ Just scroll down to 360 degrees and click there and then on "Duke of Scandinavia" which is the ship on that route. Happy clicking :-)

• Re: Re: Any Suggestions?

by traveler326157 Online Now Oct 22, 2003 at 7:30 AM

Wow, Thanks to everyone for all the responses! I'm very pleased and happy for your help. Adam, I've started checking out all the Gdansk pages in my spare time and making a list of places. Boniunia, Thanks for the link, it's so hlpful. We might have decided to stay at the grande, it looks amazing. We know it's going to be Freezing, but that's part of the allure strangely enough! Do you know if there will be snow? I would really like to see some, it dosen't really snow where I come from and it would be great! Azzuri, we're definetly going to check out those restaurants, thanks for the tip. Can you reccomend a good Polish dish to order? Sjalen, you're always such a great help! Thanks for the website, I'm learning Danish and it was great to read it. Maybe we can arrange somekind of meeting this winter when I'm in Copenhagen!

• Gelli's Profile Photo

by Gelli Online Now Oct 22, 2003 at 8:36 AM

Have done the DFDS thing on most of their routes, although only once on that service (from Gdansk only). It was perfectly fine, although I was traveling out of season and it was reletively quiet and empty. Been to Gdansk a couple of times and like it, but best bet is to look for the VTers tips/recomendations and ask some questions of local VTers. Same goes for the Christmas period, although that period is typically celebrated with lots (and lots) of home brew Vodka...

• sihi's Profile Photo

by sihi Online Now Oct 22, 2003 at 10:47 AM

Hello! You may be sure Gdansk is the most nice cities on the Baltic Sea! Good choise! You can make also a day-trip to Malbork, where is located greatest castle. And Gdynia,-Sopot. ... That will be time between Christmas and New Year!!- Gdansk will be especially nice. Visit some church in old town... Taste Polish wine, beer and food.. And make many pictures:)) enjoy.

by Boniunia Online Now Oct 22, 2003 at 1:55 PM

Hi Lisa Yes, there will be a snow for sure(even too much), it is funny view when all the people come on the streets to celebrate New Wear in their evenig outfits, ladies in those high heels in the snow- really comic... I have made a lot of fantastic pictures! If you enjoy snow so much you should certainly book Grand Hotel ( or Marina Hotel also along the beach but less expensive); all the beach is cover with the feretail snowy cloth... My female advice to you, take some gorgeous evning wardrobe you will need it!

• Sjalen's Profile Photo

by Sjalen Online Now Oct 23, 2003 at 1:19 AM

Thanks Lisa - yes it would be great to meet! Will you only be there around Christmas when I'm away on holiday or how long will you stay??? I've never been to Malbork but it's a definite must next time - I really like Poland although Gdansk wasn't a favourite (but I'll go again - need to see the huge sand dunes too!)

by traveler326157 Online Now Oct 23, 2003 at 5:01 AM

Hey Sjalen! I'll be in Copenhagen from the 21st Den to the 4th Jan except the days I'll be in Poland 26-30th? I can meet you in Sweden or In Copenhagen because I know that you comnmute every day. Also I would love to see Malmo as I am possiblely moving there. send me an e-mail with the dates you'll be away and maybe we can set up a meeting! Look forward to seeing you! Sincerly, Lisa

• Landad's Profile Photo

by Landad Online Now Oct 24, 2003 at 5:35 AM

Hello Lisa, one more thing. Unfortunatelly last year my good friend from Denmark wanted to visit me for few days. He has booked a ticket on the 26th of December with DFDS company and .... and the story started. On the 26th they got some technical problems and they asked all the passengers to wait for a long time at the boats station. Later they discovered that it is impossible to fix it the same date and they aske them to come a day later. The day later was the same. The friend of mine booked another term, which was the 28th or 29th of December...unfortunatelly the same problem was still not solved. Finally they gave the money to the passangers back and my friend hasn't met me that time :-( I hope that in your case will be different, but... be prepered... sometimes the weather can distroy your plans, for example a storm on Baltic sea, that in the winter happens from time to time...

• PeteNL's Profile Photo

by PeteNL Online Now Oct 25, 2003 at 9:00 AM

hi, just returned from driving thru the area (with too little time to stay for a visit...) but outside Gdansk itself I can definitely recommend Malbork castle. Also the nearby towns of Frombork (Copernicus home/workplace) and Elblag should be worth a visit. Have a nice trip! P.

• sihi's Profile Photo

by sihi Online Now Oct 27, 2003 at 1:47 AM

Yes yes, Elblag and Frombork are too nice towns. I have seen many pictures of them. I know that in Frombork is a great museum of N. Copernicus. enjoy:)

• Re: Any Suggestions?

by traveler326157 Online Now Oct 27, 2003 at 9:21 PM

Hello, thanks again for all your responses, I just found today that DFDS has stopped their cruises into Poland as of November ; ( I would still really like to go and I can't seem to find anymore cruise lines on the internet. Anybody know of any? Thanks again, I am still really looking forward to getting to Poland...

• Sjalen's Profile Photo

by Sjalen Online Now Oct 28, 2003 at 12:38 AM

Hi, yes it's in the papers today. DFDS has sold Prince of Scandinavia which does the Newcastle to Amsterdam run so they need Duke to do that one since Poland isn't a profitable run. I think the reason it isn't has nothing to do with people not wanting to go to Poland - they go like never before - but with the fact that there are so many quicker ferries from Sweden to Poland. So 23 November is the last sailing from Poland back to Copenhagen. :-( You could go by either Polferries or Unity Line from Ystad in Sweden instead. Because this is also the quickest way to go to the Danish island of Bornholm, many Danes go this way so there are straight through trains from Copenhagen to Ystad (in itself a very pleasant town to kill a few hours in). http://www.polferries.se/ unityline.se/index.php?lang=...

• Azzuri's Profile Photo

by Azzuri Online Now Oct 28, 2003 at 5:01 AM

If Gdansk is your final destination - check on ferry connection between Karlskrona and Gdynia (harbor north of Gdansk). Karlskrona in my opinion is max. 200km north east from Ystad. Ferries from Ystad go to Swinoujscie, which is around 350 km west from Gdansk and I do not expect a fantasting public transportation opportunity between these places (unless things changed). Public transportation in Sweden is better than in Poland so it should be easier to get from Copenhagen to Karlskrona than from Swinoujscie to Gdansk (unless there are ferry connections to Gdansk directly from either Ystad or Copenhagen). You can also check on SAS or LOT flight fare - it takes only 1h to fly from Copenhagen to Gdansk. Both are already in Star Aliance in case that helps you.

• Sjalen's Profile Photo

by Sjalen Online Now Oct 28, 2003 at 5:17 AM

No, they both go Swinousje indeed whilst the Karlskrona ferry goes to Gdynia. But it's not that easy to get to Karlskrona from Copenhagen...although not impossible and yes, it might be easier than going along the Polish coast actually. It takes at least 3 hrs 40 to get to from Copenhagen as you've got to go to Kristianstad and change. But you get to see Sweden of course :-) stena-line-ferries.co.uk/gdy...

• sihi's Profile Photo

by sihi Online Now Oct 28, 2003 at 9:01 AM

Some days ago I received brochures from Polferries www.polferries.pl There are good possibilities to get to Poland- Gdynia (Gdansk) or Swinoujsce(It is located near city of Szczecin) http://www.szczecin.pl/miasto/foto.htm There are many cities worth to visit in Poland. :)

by traveler326157 Online Now Oct 28, 2003 at 10:22 PM

Thanks to everyone for the info, I'm currently looking into a number of options I'll get back to you as soon as I find something.. Cross your fingers for me please!!!

• Sjalen's Profile Photo

by Sjalen Online Now Oct 29, 2003 at 1:18 AM

Will do! :-) You can always go to Stockholm instead of Copenhagen and take the Polferries option from Nynäshamn :-)))

• Landad's Profile Photo

by Landad Online Now Oct 30, 2003 at 2:11 AM

Lisa, if you decide to go to Swinoujscie, then don't worry ! We have good train connection from Szczecin to Gdansk and there are trains going every few hours, also the international trains from Berlin. If you choose the way, it will be probably cheaper then travelling in Scandinavia but to cross the distance it will take you up to 5 hours by fast train. Again Gdynia... it is a part of 3-city (Gdynia, Sopot, Gdansk) and it is places few km from Gdansk and the connection is very good and often. The time distance from Gdynia to Sopot 10-15min by train, Sopot to Gdansk 25min by local slow train ( a kind of metro but on the ground). If you find something going to Gdynia, then don't worry. As far as I know, there appeared new plain connetions, going from Frankfurt to Poznan by cheap airlines. Check it, because Poznan is placed only 4 hours from Gdansk and the train connection is even better then from Szczecin - it is also an international way for trains going from Germany. Take care !

• MAF's Profile Photo

by MAF Online Now Nov 23, 2003 at 8:35 AM

Dear all, I'm so very pleased I came across this excellent website - and this particular forum. I'm spending 4 or 5 days in Trojmiasto in early December - staying in Gdansk! I read with interest, some of the comments about hotels etc - and decided, eventually, upon the Hotel Podewils. Does anyone have any experience and/or thoughts re' this particular hotel ...I know the nearby Hanza is also excellent. I hope to take hundreds of photographs of the three cities i.e. Gdansk, Gdynia and Sopot - whilst I'm there ...could anyone therefore kindly suggest places to visit i.e. art galleries, buildings of interest, other nearby towns (I've already noted those suggestions re' Malbork & Frombork)? Many thanks Regards Mark (Berkshire, UK)

by Boniunia Online Now Nov 23, 2003 at 1:14 PM

Hi Mark, I didn’t stay at Podewils Hotel but I know very well the neighbourhood…in my opinion this hotel is not really good located, you surely have visited www.podewils-hotel.pl. Please, look carefully at the map and you will see that it is situated on the right side of the Motlawa river, while the Old Town on the left side (each time you will have to cross the bridge to reach the “interesting” side). Moreover the view will not be as beautiful as they are asserting on their site. On three sides this building is surrounded by grey industrial/port buildings and actually the most beautiful view is pictured on their site…I think that Hanza Hotel is better choice, you can walk directly into the streets of Old Town. The rooms are rather modern and perhaps not as charming as in Podewils but when I have stayed at Hanza I enjoyed very much its warm and sparkling atmosphere. Greetings, Bozena

• Landad's Profile Photo

by Landad Online Now Nov 27, 2003 at 8:11 AM

Hello Ben, if you really want to wake up in the morning and make your first steps directly in the old town, then Hanza is a good choice, but the price level is pretty high. Again, the opposite of the main station in Gdansk is Holiday Inn hotel - close to all the transport, but maybe a bit noisy... or Hevelius hotel - a hight building, not very modern, big, but the plus is the wiev from that hotel... and of course the price level is lower then in Hanza. You can also choose a hotel at the beach as Grand Hotel in Sopot. But for sure Gdansk is much nicer for taking photos.... Enjoy your stay here. J.

• sihi's Profile Photo

by sihi Online Now Nov 27, 2003 at 8:20 AM

Hi all, If I had possibility I would spend Christmas in Gdansk:)) I have not been there but It is so beautiful city for me.... :)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Gdansk