Gaza Strip Travel Answers

change location
DennisA13's Profile Photo

USA senior citizen would like to enter

by DennisA13 Online Now Aug 13, 2012 at 8:25 PM

From reading I see that I might be able to come in from Egypt when the border is open. I wish to visit to research history from a local view in order to write a book about Gaza history, Is it possible to rent a modest room in a family home? How long could I stay with a typical visa? I am studying Arabic but want to know if I can get by with English as well. Also, is it safe for a single old person, i.e., not likely I'd be kidnapped or killed? Sorry if that is insulting but better to ask than to wonder.

Quote & Answer
13 Answers
  • Re: USA senior citizen would like to enter

by ramot418 Online Now Aug 15, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Gaza is closed to tourists. The Rafah border crossing with Egypt, when open, is for local Gazans only.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer

by skyasma Online Now Apr 6, 2013 at 1:42 AM

About traveling to Gaza, you can easily get visa and the visa last for a month. However, I guess you could stay longer if you notified the visa office for your need for more time. As for the room renting you can get a room in a family house, but it is to know people there and stay with them. Anyways, the people in Gaza welcomes any foreigners and you will find amazing hospitality from them. You will be amazed with the percentage of people who speaks English so you can get by with English. And no you won't be killed or kidnapped in Gaza, so feel safe.

the problem in entering Gaza is to be able to enter from the Egyptian side. I mean if your government made instruction to prevent any of its citizens to enter Gaza, the Egyptian authorities won't allow you to enter. So it is worth it to coordinate with your embassy before traveling.

by ramot418 Online Now Apr 6, 2013 at 7:58 AM

Gaza borders on Israel and Egypt. Both countries do not let tourists cross into Gaza from their respective territories - regardless of any 'Gaza visa'.

• alvital's Profile Photo

Re: USA senior citizen would like to enter

by alvital Online Now May 5, 2013 at 7:09 AM

Hi.Could you please tell how to obtain VISA for Gaza Strip (which way and by which site)?Thanks.

by ramot418 Online Now May 6, 2013 at 10:16 PM

Reread what I wrote in my previous message.
    Tourists cannot enter Gaza, since Gaza borders on Israel and Egypt only, and both countries do not allow tourists to cross from their respective territories into the Gaza Strip. Therefore, even if there is such a thing as a 'Gaza visa', it is irrelevant to you.

• alvital's Profile Photo

Re: USA senior citizen would like to enter

by alvital Online Now May 7, 2013 at 12:06 AM

Thanks.I'll take it into account, but the Egyptian embassy in Russia tells another thing and they do not opposes any travel to Gaza due to relatively calm nowadays.

by ramot418 Online Now May 8, 2013 at 11:10 PM

The LAST person I would ask about border crossing procedures is a member of an embassy staff. Experience has shown that they almost always know nothing of what actually goes on at their country's border. And this is true of any country, not only Egypt. I have heard stories of embassy staff giving blatantly incorrect information that any traveler would spot immediately. Again, this is a worldwide problem, not of any specific country.

by CitizenDude Online Now May 26, 2013 at 6:20 PM

ramot418 wrote:
    The LAST person I would ask about border crossing procedures is a member of an embassy staff. Experience has shown that they almost always know nothing of what actually goes on at their country's border. And this is true of any country, not only Egypt. I have heard stories of embassy staff giving blatantly incorrect information that any traveler would spot immediately. Again, this is a worldwide problem, not of any specific country.

I am an American citizen with family in Gaza, I have applied and recieved a permission from the Egyptian Embassy here in the US to enter Gaza, and it was stamped on my passport that it was OK for me to enter Gaza through the Rafah crossing. Are you saying I won't be able to enter Gaza even with this visa/permit?

by ramot418 Online Now May 26, 2013 at 9:59 PM

All I know is that ordinary tourists are not allowed to cross into Gaza from Egypt - only local Palestinians. You are neither a tourist nor a local Palestinian, so this may be allowed with advanced permission - I just don't know. Let us know how it turns out.

by milliegirl Online Now Jul 29, 2013 at 1:57 AM

Myth buster- it is hard, but you can enter. I am the average Joe Bloggs, I entered through Rafah crossing, and did so after I received a letter of permission from the Egyptian Consulate in the UK. There was a lot of difficulty at the border but i did it in the end. it took me 6 months to get the permission

by ramot418 Online Now Jul 29, 2013 at 4:53 AM

Good for you! :) Glad to hear you succeeded.
    May I ask what you gave the Egyptian authorities as your reason for wanting to go to Gaza? Was it to visit friends or relatives? Was it to work for an NGO? How long did you stay in Gaza?

by milliegirl Online Now Jul 29, 2013 at 1:51 PM

I was in Gaza for a whole month, I went to visit a special friend :) I also wanted to see the country for myself as I wanted to see the Occupation through my own eyes rather than going through an NGO with specific views and aims. I was 100% clear that I wanted to go to see friends, as a tourist. Good luck! I really hope you go, it is a wonderful country 3

by ramot418 Online Now Jul 30, 2013 at 5:08 AM

As I thought. You didn't go as a classic tourist, but to visit friends. As a tourist, you wouldn't have been able to cross into Gaza. And even then you admit it was very difficult to get permission.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Gaza Strip Travel Answer Locations