Gaza Strip Travel Answers

change location

American born citizen trying to get to Gaza

by rania_soccer Online Now Feb 24, 2011 at 7:16 PM

I am American born, and i have family in gaza strip, i plan to go to there this summer with my family, but they have Palestinian and American citizenships, and i only have american. so is there any way i can get in???

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • atufft's Profile Photo

Re: American born citizen trying to get to Gaza

by atufft Online Now Feb 24, 2011 at 7:43 PM

I imagine that the border crossing from Egypt wouldn't be so difficult. My guess is the the USA does have visa agreement with the Palestinian government in the western territory, so the Gaza authorities probably will honor such a visa at the border. Have a spare page in your passport that can be ripped out if necessary. Sometimes, the entry-exit stamp is done on a piece of paper. I would avoid flights into Isreal. Fly to Amman or Egypt instead, then the US government thinks you simply went to Jordan or Egypt.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • unaS's Profile Photo

by unaS Online Now Feb 24, 2011 at 7:54 PM

As of today no tourists are permitted into Gaza from either Egypt or Israel.
    From both borders only members of recognized aid agencies can enter, and people with medical emergencies can exit.
    There is no 'family reunion' recognized by either of the two border countries.

From Egypt sometimes other people can enter with special permission.
    Since Egypt now has a new government there is a possibility that this will change. I suggest that you contact your local Egypt consul being aware that nothing is currently absolute and can change with time under the new government there.

• atufft's Profile Photo

by atufft Online Now Feb 24, 2011 at 8:12 PM

I know that the Israeli army controls the tourism in the West Bank by virtue of it's control of border crossings, but I thought the Israeli army had pulled out of Gaza altogether, leaving the Egyptian border, for a short while at least, a frenetic opportunity for marketplace exchange. Has that all stopped?

• unaS's Profile Photo

by unaS Online Now Feb 24, 2011 at 8:29 PM

Yes, Israel pulled out of Gaza,but there is still a border between us, and that border is essentially closed other than to recognized aid agencies as noted above.

Israel has also pulled out of large portions of the West Bank according to the Oslo accords, but one does have to enter Israel in order to travel to the West Bank.

Egypt has a border with Gaza too. That border has also been essentially closed except for short periods of time for, as you say, "a frenetic opportunity for marketplace exchange." It was only for a very short period.

Now with the new government in Egypt that may change. One can only wait and see.

• Re: American born citizen trying to get to Gaza

by jeanfinney Online Now Feb 24, 2011 at 10:18 PM

Well, there are always the famous tunnels from Egypt into Gaza...:) !! Well, I hope one day that you can see your family there....

by ramot418 Online Now Feb 24, 2011 at 11:22 PM

I agree with unas - this isn't a political forum. I too could answer the errors and misconceptions that atufft wrote. I suggest that he/she do some serious research to begin to try and understand the politics and daily life of the region. If he/she wishes more information, I'll happily provide it via a PM. All the best.

by SulQ Online Now Aug 25, 2011 at 4:39 AM

Yes .. it's hard to get a permission to enter Gaza from Rafah border ,, But if
    you want you can visting Gaza ,,
    if you want tell me to send you Number phone the person who can helping you ....

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Gaza Strip Travel Answer Locations